Phrag w Besseae in water

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks, I have finally given in and started to stand my Besse's in water instead of trying to make time to water them like they should be watered (alot) but here's my question. How much water should the pot be in the container that the pot is sitting in? My guess is not alot, just a bit on the bottom of the container?

I keep thinking that I am drownding these cuties.

thanks, mary

Jerry Fisher from Orchids Limited posted this video of how they grow Phrag. kovachii and he explains how a home owner can grow them. You can grow most "wet" growing Phrags this way.

How to grow "wet" Phrags

How much water depends on what media and conditions you are growing them in. Any media will grow phrags but once a media breaks down you are taking a risk with your plants.

Phrag besseae loves copious amounts of water. However, by putting the pot in water you are depriving the roots of something just as important, air. Besseae anchors itself to exposed granite. There is very little in the way of moss or leaf litter accumulated around the roots. As you can see from this You Tube video (and that handsome fellow in the video), besseae can only be found growing where the seepage is substantial. Thus, the roots are exposed to constant running water AND constant air movement across the surface of the roots.

I have had the best luck using fine bark with perlite and pro mix in the pot (4 parts fine bark, 2 parts perlite, 1 part pro mix). Finding the right balance of constant moisture and air is difficult...

If putting the pot in standing water is your only choice to keep the roots wet, keep as little water in the dish as possible but add something to your mix to wick up and distribute the moisture (I use a small amount of pro mix). A soaked bottom inch of a pot where the top 2/3 is dry is going to hurt your besseae. Once that bottom inch starts to break down bail on the mix and re-pot...

If you go to a plastic basket with rock and live moss, you can set it up in a tray of water, and get lots of water AND lots of air.

If you use low conductivity water and rarely fertilize the moss should take care of itself, and the phrags should be good in this for several years without messing with them.

Latest posts

Back