Phrag. Urgandiae x St. Ouen

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Urgandiae ‘Rosy Glow’’ x St. Ouen ‘Sweet Fragrance’ -- as yet unnamed. But I wonder if Urgandiae is really a parent -- does anyone else have this hybrid, and has it bloomed? Does it look like this???

Phrag_UrgandiaexStOuen.jpg

Hi Dot,
Bob Petersen of Cleveland remade Urgandiae about 15 years ago using parent plants from the 'Clements Collection'. I sold a few flasks of his cross around. The cross is (longifolium x lindleyanum) - it breeds very similar to Sorcerer's Apprentice. It is a nice cross stuck with a name from the 19th century. Glad to see it. Good to know at least one of the Urgandiae went on to do something. WHere did it come from?

Hi Dot,
Bob Petersen of Cleveland remade Urgandiae about 15 years ago using parent plants from the 'Clements Collection'. I sold a few flasks of his cross around. The cross is (longifolium x lindleyanum) - it breeds very similar to Sorcerer's Apprentice. It is a nice cross stuck with a name from the 19th century. Glad to see it. Good to know at least one of the Urgandiae went on to do something. WHere did it come from?
I was hoping you'd see this post, Leo. It came from Oak Hill -- one of several I purchased from them when they had a big sale on Phrags a year or so ago. I do wonder if the tag is right, or is it mislabeled like so many from Quintal?

Hi Dot,
I just checked the spelling on the RHS website:
Phrag Urgandiae (lindleyanum x longifolium) registered by Mantin 1/1/1896

Ernie, I am NOT old enough to have known Mantin, or his grandchildren.

I know Bob did his remake using the typical, wide leaved tall form of longifolium, I don't know who made the cross (Urgandiae x St. Ouen), but I do know Oak Hill did have some of the Urgandiae seedlings 10 to 12 years ago. Your flower looks right for the cross. I think your provenance is correct.
It should give you many flowers per blooming on a mature plant.
Leo0

Thanks, Leo. I thought the Urgandiae parent should make the petals longer and maybe darker. I'm glad to be able to keep the tag as is.

Latest posts

Back