Phrag temp tolerances

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcb

Reaction score
I recently received two Phrags hybrids from a friend (Thank You), they are Appalaichan Sunset and Mem. Dick Clements.

These are my first two I've ever tried, so I need some advice please.

Can anyone recommend minimum winter temps please?

Thanks, Renee

MDC was a survivor for me when I had a heater malfunction in Feb 2005.

If you're in Florida, I don't think you will have to worry about lows unless you grow it outdoors or get water sitting in the crowns of the leaves! :confused:

Thank you everyone.

And I do grow outside, and yes water collects in the leaves. Most of my plants can stay outside year round, but some do have to come in for winter at various night temps, so I was wondering where these would fall in the grouping.

Renee

Thank you everyone.

And I do grow outside, and yes water collects in the leaves. Most of my plants can stay outside year round, but some do have to come in for winter at various night temps, so I was wondering where these would fall in the grouping.

Renee

intermediate temperatures would be where I would lump them..

I think 10 C / 50 F is a safe lower bound on temps, so long as it warms up during the day and you can protect the leaves from standing water. I've left plants out in the fall past my self-mandated 55F night time minimum, and the phrags have handled it without issue.

I had a mishap many, many years ago and ended up leaving the plants outside while I was away. Most everything was already inside, besides some miltonias and a few other miscellaneous orchids. The recorded low was 38 F, so it was probably a few degrees warmer in proximity to the house. There was definite leaf damage, but I don't recall any plants dying outright. However, that wasn't a long term exposure -- it was one night only.

3 of my Phrags were grown outdoors last summer (Andean tears, Grande, Albopurpureum). Our summers are very cool here. Some min temps were as low as 5 to 6 C (41 to 43 F) in July and August. Nights under 10 C (50 F) are fairly common here.

The plants are still growing nicely.

3 of my Phrags were grown outdoors last summer (Andean tears, Grande, Albopurpureum). Our summers are very cool here. Some min temps were as low as 5 to 6 C (41 to 43 F) in July and August. Nights under 10 C (50 F) are fairly common here.

The plants are still growing nicely.

Same thing here in Saskatchewan. All of my phrags go outside for the summer, Phrag besseae (currently flowering and sending out new growth), Phrag lindleyanum (currently flowering), Grande, Andean Fire (thriving), Rosy Gem (flowering), Magdelene Rose (in spike), Mary Bess...

While phrags are very cold tolerant, I grow most of mine warmer, in the upper end of intermediate. I keep my besseae in the light garden, even though that is warmer than they can tolerate, but since they do well there, blooming yearly, I see no need to change. I have some big hybrids in my cold room, but that is mainly because I have the space there.

Short term, say for 8 or 10 hours, one time per year, they will survive right down to freezing. 32 F, or 0 C. They might come back from rhizome buds from a 27 F freeze, but this would not be reliable.

Long term, repeated night temps should be above 45 F or 6 C. Below that at night, and all growth seems to stop. They also become more vulnerable to various rots. I have seen Phrag besseae perform well with a long stretch of night minimums of 48 F, and I have seen besseae and Mem. Dick Clements flowered well in a Vanda house where the night time minimums were set for 72 F. Over all, for the vast majority of Phrags, temperatures are not a big problem.

Back