Phrag Suzzane Decker

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
Phrag Suzanne Decker

This is Phrag kovachii X Cape Sunset. This is the second flower on the plant that did not get awarded at a recent show. I think it is much nicer than the one that was recently awarded.
PSD_PKxCS.jpg

Now then can not claim they don't have "standards" for their judging...

I think it is beautiful and definitely nicer than the one that was awarded.
But I don't think it is an example of what will be the best from the hybrid.

Just because it is the first to bloom does not mean it should be awarded, it should also stand up to quality standards that are to be expected. Have patience and wait for some really good outstanding clones to bloom from the cross. Being first should not be so important but rather being the best should be. Just my opinion.

So far I have only seen four plants bloom of this hybrid. This is the nicest. I don't think Glen plans on rushing it to be judged. I just thought it was funny that this one was not pulled at a show for judging but the one that was pulled a few weeks later was of lesser quality.

IMO, that dorsal is pretty funky and the right petal (our left) is off kilter. Not saying it's not nice, but form makes up a ton of points. Must also note that I don't well recall the first one that was awarded. Lance is correct in his reasoning. Bottom line: would I compost it? Not on your life. :)

Isaias, AOS does not allow a plant to be judged on the same inflorescence more than once. To reenter it is unethical. The entry sheet specifically asks if the plant has been previously entered on the current spike. Allowances are made for successive bloomers like Phrags, but it must at least be a different flower.

-Ernie

Ernie said:
IMO, that dorsal is pretty funky and the right petal (our left) is off kilter. Not saying it's not nice, but form makes up a ton of points.
If the dorsal did not have the ruffles it would improve the impression of the whole bloom. Have all four that bloomed from the cross had similar dorsals?
It just a baby, I bet it will be stunning on its next growth.

Allowances are made for successive bloomers like Phrags, but it must at least be a different flower.
-Ernie
Will they judge a successive bloomer even though the lower flowers have fallen off previously?

Ron,
I think the pouch is oustanding (big belly gold fish, that is what I like the most)
So I would buy it for the pouch alone
The dorsal is ok, since it is a stand alone feature.
I don't like the petals enough. I think Glen's judgement is correct in not rushing the first few plants.
I am sure he will bloom out many great ones later (maybe that is why he wants to wait & see)

a little off topic, but has anyone tried to make 4n kovachii or hybrids?
i'd imagine it's something they'd have to do down in peru as, well, seems like there wouldn't be any mature seedpods up here... at least on legal plants. (they just started blooming recently, right?)

Past week I had the oportunity to visit HP Norton and Terry Root (will post pics when I learn the process) and sure it was my question to ask about 4n PKs and the hybrids. For PK the answer was NOT YET, but trying...for the hybs everybody is doing the primary and very few complex hybs (like J Fishers), but just using 2n pollen and pod plants.

Terry mentioned that when they will obtain a good 2n hyb, then it is time to do the 4n treatment with colchicine or other chemicals.
I believe it will take some more years, after the primary Hybs presented already. Now HP and Glen can use their own material to produce the next generation containing PK gene pool. These will bloom in three more years.
Alfredo Manrique has done over 25 hybridis, most of them primary hybrids. What we have observed is that crosses with P richteri and parceae are growing very fast. He will bloom those in 1 1/2 years.

Latest posts

Back