Phrag self pollination?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a boissierianum in bloom and two flower pedicel (ovary) appear to be swollen. I did not pollinate them. I have a dozen other paphs and phrags in bloom near this plant. Is it possible that the plant self pollinated or an insect (fruit fly, any, moth) pollinated it without me knowing?
Pics:
1610324072626.jpeg
1610324100958.jpeg

I'm not sure about P. boissierianum specifically, but I have a P. Pink Panther that reliably self-pollinates, a P. longifolium and a P. Fedora Brochu that occasionally self-pollinate, and I've seen seedpods that I assume were self-pollinated show up on a few things like P. fischerii.

I recall reading that P. lindenii self-pollinates and I've seen examples of hybrids like P. Sorcerer's Apprentice in others' collections that appear to self-pollinate.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, based on my experience, it seems like self-pollination is a pretty reasonable possibility. Granted, if you're in Florida, I'm sure the critters are much more active this time of year than they are here. I don't think fruit flies or gnats would be large enough to do the job, and I don't think moths are going to be particularly attracted to P. boissierianum. But, if you've got flies or bees in your growing area, then I suppose you can't rule out the chance of them playing a role.

Thank you for the response.
My blooming orchids come inside but doors are left open to my attached lanai/attached greenhouse so some insects could come into the home. I keep dart frogs so I often have fruit flies and moths escape and in the home. Larger insects could have come in without my knowledge.
I have tried for the last year to pollinate specific Phrags (Grande x Cardinale, Grande x Frank Smith, Grande x Sedenii, longifolium x Ruby Slippers, a few others since I want to recreate something like my favorite: Phrag. Schroederae ) with no success and this species likely self pollinated (not interested in flasking this orchid). Just my unlucky luck!

Latest posts

Back