Phrag seedlings in moss

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, but I wanted to post this photo of phrag seedlings growing in moss. They are all kovachii or kovachii hybrids in 4 inch community pots. Some have been in moss since November of last year and the newest since July of this year. I grow these under lights in a utility room that has the same temperature and humidity as the rest of the house. I don't see a single blemished leaf. I know they will need to be moved into something else sooner or later, but for small seedlings, I don't think I could have better results. Mike
63 reduced.jpg

Very healthy with no leaf tip browning as you say!! Did you cover these up to keep high humidity or just out in the open in the room under the light? Are these from Chuck Acker?
It is nice to see some of the moss back to life on the bottom right!
I just never have much luck with phrags for some reason.

Very healthy with no leaf tip browning as you say!! Did you cover these up to keep high humidity or just out in the open in the room under the light? Are these from Chuck Acker?
It is nice to see some of the moss back to life on the bottom right!
I just never have much luck with phrags for some reason.
Most are from Chuck Acker, but some are from Peruflora. I leave them in Ziploc bags when they are first de-flasked, and then I gradually open the bag until they have acclimated. The whole process takes 2-4 weeks. Mike

Your plants look great!

I used to love sphagnum for deflasking but had some bad luck with deflasking some paphs last year. When I had a greenhouse the sphagnum worked good and also in an apartment. I don't know if it is the lower temperature of the basement where I grow now. I know my moss was too wet when I used it last year and that contributed (or was maybe the whole reason) but I switched to other media rather than risking that again. Another issue is I used a warmer mat in a tray with a lid and the warmer was plugged into my light timer so over night the water dripped onto the leaves and the temp dropped to 58F.

Back