Phrag. Schroederae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Greenpaph. As I live in Australia, my growing conditions and therefore culture may differ to many on this forum.

I have a relatively small collection of about 30 Phrags and grow in a small NW facing shade house…generally full sun from mid-morning to mid-afternoon. Winter minimums temps probably average 8C but can get down to 3-4 so heating is required-I aim for about 12-13C as a minimum. Summer maximums average about 32C but can get up to mid-high 30s-increased airflow and humidity has prevented any heat stress. I live in a coastal town on a river so have naturally high humidity and good airflow but this sometimes needs to be supplemented.

I grow quite bright-50% shade Apr-Sep and an extra 50% (75%) Oct-Mar. Plants are positioned according to their lighting requirements. My Schroederae is in a bright position…perhaps you may want to try extra light?? I find that whilst I don’t have the lushest green leaves the bright light helps initiate spiking.

I use clear plastic pots with about 10 extra holes for drainage and aeration. Pots sit in trays of about 2cm of water and when nearly all evaporated it’s time to water-usually about every 10 days in winter and 5 in summer. Every second watering is with a weak 1/4 strength fertiliser…nothing special just what I have on hand (Nitrosol, Seasol etc), one watering of tap water and one good flush with tank water over a four watering cycle. As I have a small collection I individually water each plant from the top of the pot and inspect each plant for any issues at this time.

Media is exclusively Orchiata bark, perlite, charcoal and a small amount of shell grit…the grade of bark depends on the pot size and ensures that all plants “dry out” at the same rate. I repot each year after flowering.

I have found most Phrags to be fairly hardy and adaptable, however, as my conditions are quite harsh, any new plants are gradually introduced. If I don’t think a plant will tolerate my conditions I won’t try to grow it….Phrags are too expensive in Australia to go killing them.

Nothing too scientific or technical and all of my Phrags are grown the same…I have found from past experience that, for me, too many variables and overanalysing can turn this hobby into a chore.

I rely on the root system and leaves to tell me know how happy my plants are.

Hope this helps.
Trev

PS. I do have 4 Phrags (schlimii, Pink Panther etc) growing under LED lighting in my garage with about 10 Paphs.

Thanks Greenpaph. As I live in Australia, my growing conditions and therefore culture may differ to many on this forum.

I have a relatively small collection of about 30 Phrags and grow in a small NW facing shade house…generally full sun from mid-morning to mid-afternoon. Winter minimums temps probably average 8C but can get down to 3-4 so heating is required-I aim for about 12-13C as a minimum. Summer maximums average about 32C but can get up to mid-high 30s-increased airflow and humidity has prevented any heat stress. I live in a coastal town on a river so have naturally high humidity and good airflow but this sometimes needs to be supplemented.

I grow quite bright-50% shade Apr-Sep and an extra 50% (75%) Oct-Mar. Plants are positioned according to their lighting requirements. My Schroederae is in a bright position…perhaps you may want to try extra light?? I find that whilst I don’t have the lushest green leaves the bright light helps initiate spiking.

I use clear plastic pots with about 10 extra holes for drainage and aeration. Pots sit in trays of about 2cm of water and when nearly all evaporated it’s time to water-usually about every 10 days in winter and 5 in summer. Every second watering is with a weak 1/4 strength fertiliser…nothing special just what I have on hand (Nitrosol, Seasol etc), one watering of tap water and one good flush with tank water over a four watering cycle. As I have a small collection I individually water each plant from the top of the pot and inspect each plant for any issues at this time.

Media is exclusively Orchiata bark, perlite, charcoal and a small amount of shell grit…the grade of bark depends on the pot size and ensures that all plants “dry out” at the same rate. I repot each year after flowering.

I have found most Phrags to be fairly hardy and adaptable, however, as my conditions are quite harsh, any new plants are gradually introduced. If I don’t think a plant will tolerate my conditions I won’t try to grow it….Phrags are too expensive in Australia to go killing them.

Nothing too scientific or technical and all of my Phrags are grown the same…I have found from past experience that, for me, too many variables and overanalysing can turn this hobby into a chore.

I rely on the root system and leaves to tell me know how happy my plants are.

Hope this helps.
Trev

PS. I do have 4 Phrags (schlimii, Pink Panther etc) growing under LED lighting in my garage with about 10 Paphs.
Did you get it from Nicky ?

I should contact him asap, I have been looking at some recently.
He has a fairly limited range of phrags but seem to be good quality. I will be posting a few photos of some others in bloom over the next few days…some are from Nicky. Having trouble finding good phrags in Australia.

I tried to google some nurseries, apart from Nicky, Ivan in Queensland promised a list of some, but I haven’t heard more…..I am on his mail list. You are very right that good phrags are hard to find. I am planning an overseas trip next year ( depending how Covid develops ) to visit my patents in Europe. Do you know of any nursery either in Asia or Europe, that would sell decent flasks?

Latest posts

Back