Phrag. schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OR.O

Reaction score
first of all, my best wishes for all of you ! merry christmas !

this is a fresh imported Phragmipedium schlimii at the first bloom.

a schlimii with a rounded pouch, intense colors and quite rounded shape.

can't wait to see the next flower, I want understand if the malformation on the left petal is just a case or maybe would mean something else.

2016-12-24_03-52-11

2016-12-24_03-51-23

I wouldn't worry too much if this is the first bloom on a fresh import. If that's a second bud coming, it will most probably not have that defect. If the second bud blooms and the petal defect is still there, it's probably genetic and all blooms will look the same. Nice color and form, except for that petal. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
It's VERY nice! The flower shape makes me think it's possibly a 4n. That would also account for the anomaly on the petal. Sometimes 4n plants will make flowers with "teeth" on the petals. This usually happens when the plants have been recently stressed in some way, such as your plant has been. I doubt the next flower will have the same. However, even if there is an issue with the next flower, just grow the plant well and rebloom it on a new spike. Then, you will really be able to assess whether or not this is a serious problem, or just an issue with this spike of flowers because of the recent travels and stresses the plant has gone through.

I think it will be fine and you got a good plant!

I agree with both John and Migrant. It's a pretty flower and I suspect the horn will go away by the next bloom
cycle. In the meantime, enjoy it anyway. It's cute as can be.

Latest posts

Back