Phrag. schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried this S/H? It sounds like not a good candidate if it needs fresh flowing water.

I've been growning schlimii S/H since 09 maybe? I got it from a Canadian friend;) and I nearly killed it growing in a traditional pot. The trick for me was keeping the roots cool by evaporation in S/H. It has bloomed once but mostly blast :(
There are fabulious roots BTW for SE Texas at sea level!

I hate this forum sometimes.

I've heard there's a very thin line between love and hate :) :(

I've been growning schlimii S/H since 09 maybe? I got it from a Canadian friend;) and I nearly killed it growing in a traditional pot. The trick for me was keeping the roots cool by evaporation in S/H. It has bloomed once but mostly blast :(
There are fabulious roots BTW for SE Texas at sea level!

With s/h that's the key; achieving the right temperature for the roots. I had a schlimii in upstate ny window sitting in water but in winter in barely-heated room and it rotted. (Like some phals but not in summertime) as long as the root zone temp is where it should be, especially in hot Texas or home/greenhouse environments where it isn't getting too cool, it can work well.
Might be good idea to have a temp probe in pot in s/h to see if it gets too cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This guy is in diatomite at the moment but that's gonna change as soon as blooming's done. I found with some other Phrags that I'm not getting as good root growth in diatomite as I do in my standard CHC/perlite/charcoal mix.

This guy (and all my phrags) gets watered every other day.

That's a chubby one!

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

Have you switched to CHC mix from the diatomite? If so, do you find that it's doing better?

Latest posts

Back