Phrag. schlimii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamlet

Reaction score
My first picture thread for my first blooming Phrag. :)

A cute little thing that smells faintly of roses.

Shortly after opening:

20140917-p9171004sfspl.jpg

About a week later the petals had tilted backwards:

20140922-p9221032mjsku.jpg

I prefer the freshly opened look with the straight petals, but it's a beautiful little thing either way.

Thanks for looking!

Edit:

Thought I'd add these here since the first photos seem to have vanished. At least they're not showing for me.

20141104-pb04003132ua0.jpg

20141104-pb040038gzuqx.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. The fragrance, which I describe as rose perfume, is the reason I love this species so much. Well, that and the fact that it's a somewhat small grower.

What other phrags are in your collection?

Thank you all for the comments.

Very nice. The fragrance, which I describe as rose perfume, is the reason I love this species so much. Well, that and the fact that it's a somewhat small grower.

What other phrags are in your collection?

So far I have besseae, Eumelia Arias, Hanne Popow, popowii (I'll just call it that, it was bought with a long name I won't even try to spell) and this schlimii. If I can grow them well, I want to get kovachii and dalessandroi as well some day. Those are quite hard to get here and if you can find them not exactly cheap, Phragmipediums in general seem hard to find in Europe.

It's adorable! First blooms are so exciting! :)

Yes, it's exciting. I've only had my Phrags for a few months and this is the first I see in bloom. The first 2-3 months I watered them with tap water so I'm just glad they survived... It's nice to have some pretty flowers in-between all the green. The flower dropped today after about three weeks, but there's already two more buds coming. =)

Thank you all for the comments.

So far I have besseae, Eumelia Arias, Hanne Popow, popowii (I'll just call it that, it was bought with a long name I won't even try to spell) and this schlimii. If I can grow them well, I want to get kovachii and dalessandroi as well some day. Those are quite hard to get here and if you can find them not exactly cheap, Phragmipediums in general seem hard to find in Europe.

Yes, it's exciting. I've only had my Phrags for a few months and this is the first I see in bloom. The first 2-3 months I watered them with tap water so I'm just glad they survived... It's nice to have some pretty flowers in-between all the green. The flower dropped today after about three weeks, but there's already two more buds coming. =)

Sorry to hear that phrags are hard to come by. They're reasonably available over here. I think they deserve more popularity. For the most part, phrags are fast growing, free flowering slippers. Often with bright colors, and usually pretty trouble free to grow.

I guess you guys get all the new paph species and hybrids (like hangianum). And we get the phrags.

Oh my, I'm sooo envious! I keep watching mine and it's growing well, but
hasn't even hinted at a spike so far. I'm just a beginner with Phrags. and
am quite anxious to actually bloom one. Congratulations!

Sorry to hear that phrags are hard to come by. They're reasonably available over here. I think they deserve more popularity. For the most part, phrags are fast growing, free flowering slippers. Often with bright colors, and usually pretty trouble free to grow.

I guess you guys get all the new paph species and hybrids (like hangianum). And we get the phrags.

The Eric Young Orchid Foundation is in the Isle of Jersey, which I think is part of the EU. They do a lot of phrag breeding.

The plant dropped the next bud. =( What could have caused this? It didn't dry out, it just fell off. I can see two more buds coming, I hope those don't fall off...

I know of three nurseries that sell Phrags (mostly the "common" species, like schlimii and besseae), so that's something I guess.

I have a hangianum seedling btw, it's very slow, at this rate I might see it in flower in ten years. =) Hangianums are not hard to find here, that's true, BS are readily available.

The Eric Young Orchid Foundation is in the Isle of Jersey, which I think is part of the EU. They do a lot of phrag breeding.
Jersey and the Canal Islands are part of the UK but possess a special status. I'm not sure they are part of the EU.
Plants from EYOF are pretty hard to find, too. They release only small numbers and only to selected retailers. I really wish their plants would be more common.
The old standard hybrids (Eric Young, Hanne Popow,...) enter the market occasionally but Quality flowers or the advanced corsses are hard to find.

Second bud blasted, but the third one made it. Looks a bit different than the first:

20141104-pb04003132ua0.jpg

20141104-pb040038gzuqx.jpg

Latest posts

Back