Phrag. schlimii 'Charlie' specimen

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
This is just a "quickie" snapshot of my Phrag. schlimii 'Charlie' while it sat on the bench. Even though I didn't clean up the plant first, the photo turned out kinda' nice; so, I thought I'd share. I keep it potbound and water it whenever I think of it as I'm going by with the hose. That works out to about daily in the summer and 2 or 3 times a week in the winter.

16849.jpg

Very nice. I find this species difficult to grow. I'm happy when I get one clean new growth to bloom.

Very nice. I find this species difficult to grow. I'm happy when I get one clean new growth to bloom.

me too...mine spiked and blasted again. This is its third blasted spike and I have yet to see a flower. Too bad because the spike is deeply coloured.

I changed mine into a clay pot this year so that its root system would be cooler too.

I don't know what to say to those of you who have had problems with this species, other than I got this plant from Wendy about 4 or 5 years ago. It definitely perked right up in my cooler and much more humid greenhouse; as compared to Wendy's very warm and quite dry grow room. This plant produced 8 spikes last year (spring through fall). I haven't kept count this year; but, I'd say I got at least a dozen spikes this year; many of them with side branches. I do water heavily, grow it in good Cattleya light and I supplement my feeding with epsom salts from March through October.

That's very cool John.:clap::clap:

Gilda in TN has had great success with hers too (but no success to get a seed pod).

Maybe the two of you should swap some pollen and try an outcross:wink:

That's very cool John.:clap::clap:

Gilda in TN has had great success with hers too (but no success to get a seed pod).

Maybe the two of you should swap some pollen and try an outcross:wink:

Hmmm? I'll have to check out Gilda's posts to see her schlimii. I don't have any trouble getting this plant to hold a capsule when I self it; so, I'd think an outcross would work fine too.

EDIT: I just had a look at Gilda's posts of her schlimii. It's very nice and the fact that it's a vigorous clone is a characteristic that's worth propagating, as it seems that there are enough finicky clones out there. I like the rounder petals of my clone; but, I like the pouch colour saturation of Gilda's clone more. I think these two would be a good mating. Gilda, if you're interested in trading pollen, PM me.

Back