• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Phrag. sargeantianum (4N)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefrog

Hop-meister
Reaction score
I'd give at least one of my teeth for a proven tetraploid sargentianum, lindleyanum, or kaieteurum. Failing that, a proven tetraploid Eric Young, Mem. Dick Clements, or Rosalie Dixler...

Seeking soulmate for love, companionship, and breeding to tetraploid besseae... *grin*

And also seeking lab geek who likes to do chromosome counting...

Rob (have colchicine, will travel)

Do you know if the clones Chuck uses or Orchidview's clones of MDC are true 4Ns?

Chuck must have at least one 4N MDC because I believe he made some 4N JFs.

how bout using regular diploid besseae for some exhibition 3N besseae?

I asked Chuck about his MDC Rocket Flash, which is the one he uses for breeding. I asked if he had verified if it was 4N. His response was: "Just a stoma count which is not an accurate reading"

It seems that there is a distinct lack of people who will actually do chromosome counting. So, I'm guessing on a lot of my plants too. When I gave my besseae talk last month (haven't had a chance to write it up, it will happen), I commented that the latest generation of OZ besseaes were probably tetraploid. Glen Decker was in the audience, and told me probably not, since Terry wasn't working with tetraploid stock, just selecting out of diploid stock. I'm standing by my observation based on some other things I've seen, since I'm sure that Terry has bloomed enough besseae to select the natural tetraploids, even if he hasn't chemically converted plants.

Sorry, that is rambling... As far as I know for phrags, EYOF is the only place that actually does real science. Everybody else assumes ploidy based on phenotype, as far as I know. That isn't really a good way to do it. Hence the need for somebody to do the lab work. I _can_ do the lab work, I just don't have time...

Rob,

All the awarded MDC's at Orchidview are from EYOF and HP says are certainly 4n. I selfed the Katherine clone and have a batch of seedlings I plan on growing up. I know the flasks I did not keep went to Woodstream and are available on Bill's website quite reasonably.

My first post on this site...feels good to break the ice!

Jeff

This 4n subject is rather interesting

Quite a few of my original phrags eg sunset glow ,don wimber bell hough point came from EYOF they came with 4n on the tag of them .that was 1994- coming out of flask .
the other day i was reading about treated plants and plants bred with 4N parents - does the gene stay in the plant as strong with used to breed on with .??? some of these don't breed on like Don Wimber
Wondering Billie:confused:

Billie said:
Quite a few of my original phrags eg sunset glow ,don wimber bell hough point came from EYOF they came with 4n on the tag of them .that was 1994- coming out of flask .
the other day i was reading about treated plants and plants bred with 4N parents - does the gene stay in the plant as strong with used to breed on with .??? some of these don't breed on like Don Wimber
Wondering Billie:confused:

4N is double the number of chromosomes, not a specific gene. So, it is difficult to lose '4N'-ness. Where you see breeding issues, it is usually from crossing 4N with 2N (normal) plants, getting 3N plants. Triploids are not very fertile, it is hard to get the chromosomes to separate normally during gamete formation.

P. sargentianum

Hey! Rob
Why did you not say before??
We have had several plants of the EYOF 4n sargentianum for sale from time to time.
Because of our banishment from these shores we will not be shipping anything in this direction, but once things have settled and I start my traveling again I will see if I can arrange something for you( if you still want it then!!) by the way you can keep your teeth as I still have plenty!!:poke:
Paul

Latest posts

Back