Phrag Saint Ouen

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
This plant orginates from Ecuagenera. I bought it exactly one year ago at the end of its blooming cycle at my society's meeting that month. Now it's blooming for me again, this time with two spikes. Only one spike has opened any buds so far, but it has 2 flowers open at once. It has turned out to be a great little plant. My only complaint is that it climbs out of the pot - I've had to pot it twice since I got it (it was originally bare root) to accommodate the long rhizome, which even now is protruding an inch out of the pot! The color in the photo is more or less true.

They don't, what you have there is Hanne Popow. Notorious climbers.....

Kyle

Nope, the tag said Hanne Popow x besseae, which is Saint Ouen (right?). It isn't fragrant. Funny story actually, when I bought it I saw Hanne Popow on the tag so I bought it right away (I really want a Hanne), and then later on I noticed the full name. I still don't have a Hanne...

Joe

Nope, the tag said Hanne Popow x besseae, which is Saint Ouen (right?). It isn't fragrant. Funny story actually, when I bought it I saw Hanne Popow on the tag so I bought it right away (I really want a Hanne), and then later on I noticed the full name. I still don't have a Hanne...

Joe

Can you take a picture of the tag?

I work for Ecuagenera and know that they don't have that cross for sale, nevermind the permits to export that cross. Plus, I imported the plants last fall for them and there would not have been any Hanne Popow x besseae in that shipment.

I could be wrong, but I think someone in ecuador screwed up on the tag.

If you really want a Hanne Popow, I have a few good ones for sale.

Kyle

What probably happend was they meant to print a tag that read 'besseae x schlimii Hanne Popow'. But the printer cut off the 'schlimii'.

Kyle

What probably happend was they meant to print a tag that read 'besseae x schlimii Hanne Popow'. But the printer cut off the 'schlimii'.

Kyle

So it is a Hanne Popow then? That's interesting. It looks different from other Hannes I've seen, but then again it looks more different from other Saint Ouens I've seen! Is there a way I can find out for sure?

Thanks for all the great comments everyone! Heather, it doesn't seem very fragrant, but I can kind of detect a slight fragrance in the morning.

It should have a fragrance between raspberries and roses. It doesn't look like a St. Ouen, maybe if you go through the pictures here you'll see a diff.

I posted these a while back one the other forum, but here they are again. This is 9 or so different Hanne Popow from Ecuagenera. They had over 1500 at one time, with maybe 2-300 in bloom at any one time. I jsut took a few pictures to show the variation.

As for fragrance, most are as Eric discribed, but some wern't fragrant.

PhragbesseaexschlimliClone10.jpg

PhragbesseaexschlimliClone9.jpg

PhragbesseaexschlimliClone8.jpg

PhragbesseaexschlimliClone6.jpg

PhragbesseaexschlimliClone5.jpg

PhragbesseaexschlimliClone4.jpg

PhragbesseaexschlimliClone3.jpg

PhragbesseaexschlimliClone2.jpg

PhragbesseaexschlimliClone1.jpg

You can email Ecuagenera to make sure, let me know if you need the email or if they arn't getting back to you.

Kyle

I'm in Canada. I have quite a few paphs to sell (I've finally admitted to myself that I don't grow these that well...). I will make a list this weekend and start a new thread.

Sorry Parvi for hijacking your thread, but just wanted to let you know what you had.

Kyle

Latest posts

Back