Phrag. Saint Ouen flavum '#3'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lienluu

Well, another not so great shot... The camera only allows you to view through the viewfinder, not through the LCD so i don't have to worry about that.

The biggest problem I have is when i have it set on AV with a higher aperature, it takes so long and the cats keep checking things out and moving the plant and it makes for a blurry picture.

Anyhow, this is from OL's St. Ouen flavum cross. This is the 3rd one i've bloomed out and all three have been solid yellow. The shape on this one is a little funky, maybe it will improve on the next blooming.

sof-3a.jpg

sof-3b.jpg

with an f stop of 8, and iso100, you should be good to go, provided you have a relatively bright room. I don't think you need to really dial down your aperature to f22 or anything...8 should be enough depth of field. also do you bracket your shots? you might want to try that (take a shot that is 1 stop underexposed, .5 stops under, neutral, .5 over, 1 over). what lens are you using? macro? how far away from your subject are you?

now distracting the darling cats, that's a whole different issue. I suggest dangly pieces of string.

oh yeah, gorgeous phrag!

That's so awesome! These solid yellow St. Ouens may just be my favorite Phrags.

You know, if you feel the shape makes it not worth keeping, you know where to throw it away! ;)

ScottMcC said:
with an f stop of 8, and iso100, you should be good to go, provided you have a relatively bright room. I don't think you need to really dial down your aperature to f22 or anything...8 should be enough depth of field. also do you bracket your shots? you might want to try that (take a shot that is 1 stop underexposed, .5 stops under, neutral, .5 over, 1 over). what lens are you using? macro? how far away from your subject are you?

now distracting the darling cats, that's a whole different issue. I suggest dangly pieces of string.

oh yeah, gorgeous phrag!

The lens is: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Camera is: Canon EOS 30D 8.2MP Digital SLR Camera

This is the camera and lens:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZDTKU/sr=1-2/qid=1155683229/ref=sr_1_2/103-9191635-1083817?ie=UTF8&s=photo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...083817?ie=UTF8

i did not realise F8 would be sufficient, i had it all the way to 22. Which took forever, about 30 seconds. and by that time, well the cats won.

30 seconds is a very long exposure!!!

how far away from the plants are you? I take it you're using it as a macro lens, right?

try the same shot with each f-stop you have, adjusting the shutter for neutral exposure, see what you think, but 8 should be enough for most purposes. you want a blurry background anyway, so your required depth of field is only about 3 inches.

Have you smelled the flowers yet Lien? They are slightly fragrant of roses, a trait that schlimii breeds on. The funny thing is not everybody can smell it. In fact, schlimii smells like roses to some people but I can't detect it, only in its hybrids!

hrmm, i didn't notice anything but i also didn't try :) I'll check tomorrow. I haven't been able to smell anything on schlimii in the past.

Jason Fischer said:
Have you smelled the flowers yet Lien? They are slightly fragrant of roses, a trait that schlimii breeds on. The funny thing is not everybody can smell it. In fact, schlimii smells like roses to some people but I can't detect it, only in its hybrids!

Interesting, Jason! I did not know that!
I find the schlimii fragrance trait really fascinating because it doesn't seem to happen across the board. My Beverly Fischer (St. Ouen x fischeri) is very fragrant of sweet raspberries. Now you are saying that St. Ouen (Hanne Popow x besseae) is fragrant, but Hanne Popow (besseae x schlimii) doesn't seem to be. Why is that?

So, what is it about the St. Ouen combination that holds the fragrance, I wonder!

lienluu said:
i did not realise F8 would be sufficient, i had it all the way to 22. Which took forever, about 30 seconds. and by that time, well the cats won.
Actually, with f/22, although you'd get more depth of field, the image sharpness is less. That's because light travels in a straight line until it comes to an object, like the aperture, which bends it. So proportionately, the smaller the opening, the more light is bent, resulting in a less-than-sharp image. The rule of thumb is to use the f/stop one or two larger than the smallest. In your case, f/11 or f/8 should be fine.

Of course, with a 30 second exposure, any movement on the flower is magnified in a close-up. I don't have cats, but I have to turn my fans off when I photograph in my sunroom -- and then sometimes I forget to turn them back on...

Latest posts

Back