Phrag. Ryoko Urabe

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Fischer

www.orchidweb.com
Reaction score
The darkest one we've bloomed yet. I like taking pics of colorful phrags in full sun as it brings out the most detail in the flower.

This cross is Barbara LeAnn x fischeri, a back-cross which makes for a very compact plant that blooms on a 6" to 8" leaf span.

ryokou.jpg

Simply gorgeous. I swear, one day I'm going to get all the micropetalum hybrids that have fischeri in them. That species does such amazing things.

One question: when using fischeri in breeding, do you have to always use it as the pollen parent due to it having a (reported) tendency to self pollinate?

kentuckiense said:
One question: when using fischeri in breeding, do you have to always use it as the pollen parent due to it having a (reported) tendency to self pollinate?

Excellent question!

fischeri is almost always used as a pollen parent because it self-pollinates. However, if the pollen is removed the first day the flower opens you can use it as a pod parent, but sometimes you will get mixed seedlings. I've seen both hybrid and selfing seedlings come out when you use fischeri as a pod parent. It's easy to tell by looking at the size of the offspring. What I'd like to try is crossing fischeri with another self-pollinating phrag such as boisserianum and see if the offspring of that hybrid also self-pollinate.

Jason Fischer said:
fischeri is almost always used as a pollen parent because it self-pollinates. However, if the pollen is removed the first day the flower opens you can use it as a pod parent, but sometimes you will get mixed seedlings. I've seen both hybrid and selfing seedlings come out when you use fischeri as a pod parent. It's easy to tell by looking at the size of the offspring. What I'd like to try is crossing fischeri with another self-pollinating phrag such as boisserianum and see if the offspring of that hybrid also self-pollinate.
Beautiful flower.
Interesting idea.

We use our own formula, which is basically the same as the liquid formula we sell on our site called 'Green Jungle'. It's a mild formula (1-0-1) with calcium and magneseum added. It does have trace amounts of phosphorous as well.

Once in a while we will do liquid limestone or foliar feeding, but not often enough to make a big difference with phrags.

NYEric said:
Does it have all the trace elements of an MSU formula? I guess I could get less lazy and look the ingredients up...

Haha, jokes on me Green Jungle fetilizer is secret formula. Now I get to but both.

Latest posts

Back