Phrag. Rosalie Dixler 'Fox Valley' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of red Phrags. in bloom this time of year. Here's one of our favorites and a parent of Phrag. Fox Valley Fireball. Not quite as saturated red this time of year because of the extended hot weather.

Attachments

• Phrag. Rosalie Dixler 'Fox Valley' AM-AOS -2020-3.JPG
    Phrag. Rosalie Dixler 'Fox Valley' AM-AOS -2020-3.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 30
Fantastic. Is it normal to have this many Phrags blooming this time of year for you? Maybe this is normal for your growing environ / latitude. Most of my phrags are on vacation, they seem to get back to real work in September.

It's been a strange year for blooming Phrags.; at least for us. Typically, most of our Phrag. Hybrids bloom in February-March just in time for the spring shows. This year, we had one lonely Phrag. Fritz Schomburg in bloom in early February and the majority began spiking in late April. It was an especially gloomy spring here with few sunny days.

It's a real treat to see all these in bloom this time of year. Like Christmas in August.. Noticed that many of the other phrag hybrid posted in the past few days including besseae are blooming in the cooler regions with more favorable night time low temps. Interesting to see how the blooming hot spots change globally over the seasons. We have been hitting 90's again this week here in the the mid Atlantic. Which is fine, easy for me to cool down enough to stay under 80 during the day.. it's the night time lows I alway seem to be chasing. I can't get below 70 without an AC.

My Rosalie Dixler bloomed the end of May/early June but it was in the basement all winter so there's less of a clock than you get in a greenhouse.PhragRosalieDixler-2.jpg

Back