Phrag. Robert-Jan Quené

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ploidy

Robert
Can you test this plant for chromosome number?
It is possible that you already have a 4n clone from this cross with this plant given the aneuploid nature of the FS parent. Triploids do produce the odd 2n gamete.
David

Robert
Can you test this plant for chromosome number?
It is possible that you already have a 4n clone from this cross with this plant given the aneuploid nature of the FS parent. Triploids do produce the odd 2n gamete.
David

Yes, it is possible that it is already a 4N, sometimes when you cross a 3N with a 4N parent, a certain percentage, will end up as 4N plants. And yes, next time I do chromosome staining, I will add some roottips from this plant to count the chromosomes :)

Robert

This is all very interesting, Robert.....and educational....and exciting! Thanks for the info and I wish you great success with this line of breeding in the future. This is a real winning hybrid cross! You're doing some really great work! Congratulations.

BTW: Robert, have you been sibbing your kovachiis and treating some to make 4n plants? Can we look forward to some 4n kovachii coming down the pipeline? Thanks.

This is all very interesting, Robert.....and educational....and exciting! Thanks for the info and I wish you great success with this line of breeding in the future. This is a real winning hybrid cross! You're doing some really great work! Congratulations.

BTW: Robert, have you been sibbing your kovachiis and treating some to make 4n plants? Can we look forward to some 4n kovachii coming down the pipeline? Thanks.

Thanks John!

And to answer your second question, YES, we have, and Yes they will :) ,although if we get any first generation ones, they will probably be used for our breeding work only, but once there is a second generation, I am sure they will come on the market..

Robert

Love it! Can't wait for the next batch to come out!!!
And man that Fritz 'Peach Perfect' is awesome.

Thanks John!

And to answer your second question, YES, we have, and Yes they will :) ,although if we get any first generation ones, they will probably be used for our breeding work only, but once there is a second generation, I am sure they will come on the market..

Robert

Excellent news! It's hard to imagine a bigger kovachii with flatter, rounder petals and thick substance and more saturated colour. Wow!

An update on the flower measurements (It has grown since I first measured it!)

NS: 9.5 cm
Petal Width: 3.5 cm

Robert

Some new pictures I took this morning, showing the colors a little more accurately. The first pictures, the flower colors looked a little too much saturated.

and finally for scale, me and me..

Robert

Robert, is this the same plant that you posted a while ago in another thread about this cross or is this another one of the same batch. I didn't do a search yet but I thought you posted the flavum one also. Is that correct or was it something else I am thinking of?

Robert, is this the same plant that you posted a while ago in another thread about this cross or is this another one of the same batch. I didn't do a search yet but I thought you posted the flavum one also. Is that correct or was it something else I am thinking of?

This is the same plant that flowered earlier (so thus far we have only bloomed one plant out of this cross). This time the flower was a lot larger. Here is the post when it bloomed the first time:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31963

And yes, you are correct, I also did the same cross, using a Fritz Schomburg (made with a besseae flavum) crossed back to a besseae flavum. Here is that post:

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34669

Robert

unclear what you mean, but yes, I crossed Fritz Schomburg flavum x besseae flavum. They all came out yellow!

Robert

You said that you remade the RJ-Q recently and I was wondering if the one made with the flavum was also remade. :)

Latest posts

Back