Phrag repotting

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullsie

Reaction score
Is it ok to repot Phrags every year or are there those that prefer to stay in the same pot and medium for several years. I grow mine in CHC and spongerock and have been wondering if I shouldn't be repotting (wondering about the breakdown of the CHC).

I had been growing them s/h but had some difficulties and changed.

appreciate!

I think in general, plants don't like their roots to be disturb. So if the medium is still ok, I'd keep it in the same pot for several years. But if the media is bad (broken down, rotten, etc), definitely re-pot.

As for frequency of repotting, it depends on what type of Phrag you are growing. If they are the long-petaled ones (caudatum, etc, or hybrids), they prefer to be more dry (so you may have to repot more frequently if the media breaks down). If they are the short petal (e.g., bessae), they prefer to be more wet, and some folks have claimed that their plants do well when the media breaks down to mush.

I have found s/h to be great for the short petal phrags. I haven't yet tried s/h for long-petal types, but one grower has great success with s/h for wallisi.

I do not repot my prhrags so frequently... most part of the phrags (specially Micropetalum) love decomposed media if it keeps fair aireation This is particularly true for andreettae.

Real men don't repot! :p

Honestly, the worst factor for my Phrags has been decomposition of media. I don't see a problem with doing every year, and if you want to start at my house, no problem. :)

Bark and charcoal.
Three years. No Problems.

From May to October they are watered five days a week at least.

I don't repot Phrags every year. I do it when the plant "tell" me to do it. As long as it is vigourous and the roots are nice, I wait... Unfortunatly Paphs are not able to "talk" like Phrags... They speak another language I don't understand or...They talk to me when it is too late...

Thanks all! I've had them in the new medium for a year and was getting a bit worried. One job I don't have to do now! We are getting cold weather in so I am now bringing all the plants back into the house. I don't remember the job being this big when I took them out!

Latest posts

Back