Phrag repotting question(s)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

KateL

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Although I have grown various orchids for decades, I have only been growing Phrags for 3-4 years, mostly from flask. Now that my plants are getting bigger, I’m not sure what to do with all of these roots that circle around on themselves inside the pots.
Do you try to separate the roots? Trim them? Just stuff them in a bigger pot?
Obviously, I am trying to get rid of old media that is breaking down and accumulating salts.
Here’s an example, two-years from flask, nearly mature second growth, in a four inch pot. This is a pretty solid mass, although I was able to pull some media from the middle.
8A1DCA99-C264-4AB4-95FB-0269CA4E44BA.jpeg.

tomkalina

Vendor
Reaction score
Soak the root ball in water for 30-45 minutes. It will become more manageable and easier to "train" into a new pot.

Paphluvr

Reaction score
I just gently massage the (damp) root ball and shake out any of the old mix that may have loosened up. Repot into a new, larger pot with fresh mix, given it a few good thumps on the bench to settle the new mix into the old rootball.

MaxC

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I would not worry too much if you have any light damage to the roots. You are definitely growing some happy plants. It should be busy putting new roots and growths this time of year and will need a place to go, so definitely go with a size up on pot.

bscwrs2p1

Reaction score
I had a bitter experience to divide a big Phrag into five, I spent 3 - 4 hours to separate the long roots that twisted together. I had viewed a video that a Taiwan orchid grower just cut the Phrag with roots freely.

monocotman

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I would leave the roots well alone. Just try to remove as much old compost as possible. I soak roots for a few minutes and then blast the root ball with water from a hosepipe. It removes most things!
Then pot into a bigger pot.
David