Phrag. popowii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Lumper or splitter? The tag says Phrag. caudatum v. warscewiczii ‘Windy Hill’ (x self)
This is a first bloom, and for some reason, it had trouble opening -- and the pouches are a bit smushed in.

Phrag_popowii.jpg

Phrag_popowii-close.jpg

The flower count is good for a first timer, but the petal length seems kind of short. (Or are they still growing?)

Popowii, what the...? Man I'd like to kick a taxonomist in the shins!
What a great fund-raiser for an orchid event, like a dunk-the-principal booth! :evil:

Last edited:
Lovely, Dot!

I've had this one on my wish list for some time because I remember reading that it doesn't get too large. Yours seems to back that.

Popowii, what the...? Man I'd like to kick a taxonomist in the shins!
What a great fund-raiser for an orchid event, like a dunk-the-principal booth! :evil:

Careful what you say!....Some of those taxonomists might be reading your posts... :poke:

Robert

It's OK, since it's the last Thursday of the month they'll all want to wipe out whatever was done in the past so they'll become plumbers and bankers for the rest of the week! :evil:

I am silly to see these wonders that you have out there in South America, and here in Brazil, it is rare to find sedllens of Phrag. so so beautiful

PS. I apologize for my bad English as well as use the google translator and sometimes it does not reflect the way I would leave the phrases!

In the past I have shared a stein of beer with Dr. Guido Braem on several occasions, and on several different occasions closed a bar or two with Dr. Eric Christiansen, I have heard their versions of the need for some of these changes. Honestly, they are not trying to cause anyone trouble, they are just trying to get the facts straight. The problem is that the name used for a species is absolutely determined by the TYPE specimen, often that 100 year old dried out fragment of plant material glued to a cardboard and filed away in an obscure herbarium. Dr. Braem changed the name of what we used to call warscewiczianum because what was on the type specimen was not the plant that we in the hobby today had been refering to as warscewiczianum. In fact, the plant on the type sheet was what in the hobby we had been refering to as Phrag wallisii. And this sheet pre-dated the sheet naming wallisii. So the plant in the hobby today that was called warscewiczianum needed a name, and Mr Popow who is a long time friend and supporter of the orchid hobby, ans a decent guy too, was honored with the naming. And the plant we used to call wallisii had to revert to the earliest valid name given to it which was warscewiczianum. This will really play hell with the RHS hybrid registrations, but I suppose time will sort it out. Of course I am having problems remembering the changes, but eventually I will get used to it. - Leo

Latest posts

Back