Phrag. popowii with 85 cm long petals!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This first bloom seedling of Phrag. popowii ("Fu Man Chu x self) fully opened this weekend with amazing long petals. I measured them and they were 85 cm (34.5 inches) long! Does anyone know if there is a Phrag. popowii with longer petals?

It is hard to capture the full length of the petals on a picture, but here is a picture of it in the greenhouse:

PhragpopowiiVictoriaFallsGreenHouse.2007.jpg

Here with a blackcloth behind it:

PhragpopowiiVictoriaFallsblackcloth.2007.jpg

And this is the best picture, which gives you a better idea of the amazing length of the petals. The plant (that we named 'Victoria Falls') is held by Joyce Crozier. Joyce works for us here at the nursery and is responsible for planting all the babies that come out of the Lab:

PhragpopowiiVictoriaFallswithJoyce9.2007.jpg

Robert

I would love to, but the closest Judging place is Chicago, over 800 miles away from us, so it is a little hard to transport this guy there without the petals braking :sob: I wish the judges would come to us, instead of we having to go to them....

I know people Fedx(overnight) in cut flowers for judging, but of course there has to be a judging center meeting in the nearish area in the next few days, and then the question of how in the world would someone pack those babies! I admire people who can get plants like this and monster plants that weigh tons in for shows and judging. I think anyone who attempts it deserves an award!

:drool:

AAAAAH, I fell on the floor and passed out for a moment! That is what I call flowers!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Wow
All the books keep talking about long petaled phrags with 36" long petals, but this is the first one that I have actually witnessed.:drool::drool:

3 blooms on a spike is also pretty good for a popowii too.

I would love to, but the closest Judging place is Chicago, over 800 miles away from us, so it is a little hard to transport this guy there without the petals braking :sob: I wish the judges would come to us, instead of we having to go to them....

That is such a shame! ....... but......Are you sure? I thought most all orchid clubs have judging at their monthly meetings? (or is a critique by the most experienced members, some which might be provisional?).

Holy SH*T, those are LONG! That's awesome! I would use those pictures for my tattoo, but the guy would probably end up tattooing onto the floor, my legs aren't that long ;)

That is such a shame! ....... but......Are you sure? I thought most all orchid clubs have judging at their monthly meetings? (or is a critique by the most experienced members, some which might be provisional?).

There are regional judging centers that meet monthly, and AOS judged shows, but the various local society meetings don't count except for fun.

Wow, that's an incredible flower!! Congrats on that one, and yes, it is a shame you've got no judging centre nearby.
My Fu Manchu (maybe a x self) is my favourite Phrag, even though the petals couldn't compete with this one.

Holy SH*T, those are LONG! That's awesome! I would use those pictures for my tattoo, but the guy would probably end up tattooing onto the floor, my legs aren't that long ;)

If he does one petal on each leg, I can't help wondering where he'd put the slipper?:poke:

Cheers, Carsten

There are a couple of judges from Minnesota that could take it in to Chicago since they are going there anyway. Of course, it always seems as though our best plants bloom when there isn't any judging, then the week of judging they aren't quite as fresh.

Back