Phrag. Plemont

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this one was made w/ flavum Phrag. Hanne Popow as it differs so much from the other one I've seen at www.thomasriver.co.za!

That may very well be... but it isn't specified on the tag. :( However, I was expecting to see something bright red/orange. Really surprised that dalessandroi colour isn't there. The pink is very bright, 'bubble gum' pink though...

As promised previously, here is the full front shot now that its opened all the way:

And another close up of the pouch, 'cause I still think those windows are awesome!! :rollhappy:

I think this one was made w/ flavum Phrag. Hanne Popow as it differs so much from the other one I've seen at www.thomasriver.co.za!

Thinking about this some more, and you must be right. This plants colour pattern is pretty much all schlimii. It seems that besseae and dalessandroi are only seen in the flower shape and the brighter colour of the pink. And, of course, those mouth watering windows in the pouch!! :drool: (Still in love with those!)

I think EYOF made a lot of crosses w/ a flavum besseae that didn't note it. Do they have a numbering system on their tags. I have 1 or 2 from them I just haven't had the time to look,

I think EYOF made a lot of crosses w/ a flavum besseae that didn't note it. Do they have a numbering system on their tags. I have 1 or 2 from them I just haven't had the time to look,

Its EY9395.

I know this is a very old thread, but I thought I'd mention something of interest. I recently (a few months ago) bought a plant from Burnham Orchids, who told me it was a Phrag St. Ouen. It was in spike when it arrived, but sadly that was the final bloom of the spike. I didn't get around to photographing it, but it is only now that I say that to my dismay. Acting on a tip from a recent posting, I finally got around to repotting the specimen this afternoon. Only then did I examine the tag more carefully. The plant is from the EYOF originally. I had been told it was St. Ouen, and it sure looked like St. Ouen to my eye. But the tag says it is Phrag Plemont, with (St. Ouen) written in brackets. It was a pinker version of the one posted here, and sadly, with no photo to go by, I can't say for sure but I don't think it had those pronounced 'windows' to the pouch.

Given the state it was in, with it being a division already from a long stolon, and in that darned rockwool so probably overwatered... it looks like it will be at least a year before it recovers (I hope!) enough to bloom once more. Sorry for the lack of photo! There's a moral to this story somewhere, can't quite think what it might be...

This flower is wonderfully unique and the colors exciting.

Patience is the moral of the story Don. I bought a quite
large species Phal. gigantea and have spent five years
nursing it back to health and nice, unmarked leaves and
good roots. Eventually, it will give me flowers I don't have to cut off to help the plant. It will be worth it. I
hope you get what you hope for.

That you might have an EYOF Plemont?

Hi Eric, yes, I'm 100% certain this is an EYOF plant. I looked back at my emails, and this was what Sara Rittershausen at Burnham Nurseries said to me in March 2015: "I am pleased to tell you that I recently went to Jersey and got a division from their Phragmipedium St Ouen for you."

That was, as I said before, both accurate and inaccurate..! See the tag that came with it in the photos here. The repotting was done yesterday evening. Like all the EYOF phrags it was in rockwool, and at least 60% of the roots were completely rotten. Rockwool seems to me to be a nasty material for phrags. I know it makes watering easier, as you don't then water daily. But that brown fungus that phrags are prone to is so easily kept at bay by daily watering. But with rockwool you just cannot do that, or you get a lot of root rot, as I saw with this division. It was a pretty big mass of roots that had emerged by the way from the newer end of the old stolon that was in the pot it came in. So I'm hoping that the further stolon will spring forth with roots in the smaller top pot. I've got both pots now filled with just fine Orchiata bark. Note the brown tips of the leaves of the new growth, which spurred me into action yesterday. Plan is now to water it daily and keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck. I would have to check dimensions on record but I think the blooms of Plemont are like super Hanne Popows, bigger and rounder.

The bloom that came open remained on the spike for something close to 3 weeks, so I am kicking myself I didn't photograph it in that time. It did look very like St. Ouen, wish I could say more..!

Latest posts

Back