Phrag. pearcei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandrobium

Reaction score
I find this one nearly impossible to keep the leaves clean. I keep my fertilizer very low, and alternate with Cal-Mag, but it inevitably browns from the leaf tips. I grow it semi-hydro, but I believe it may do better with smaller sized LECA.

20170507_215525web.jpg

20170507_215531web.jpg

20170507_215540web.jpg

20170507_215550web.jpg

Looking good. My plant's the same in terms of the leaves. I do minimal feeding, and I've experimented with various temperatures and light levels, but it's tough to avoid leaf tip die back. I just keep the razor blades handy and trim regularly.

The rhizomes on my plant are pretty crawly, but yours looks like the growths are closely spaced, is that the case?

Thanks, yeah, I just have a feeling its perhaps a bit too dry at the roots and a smaller sized LECA could provide greater surface area for moisture.
This one seems to be a good clumper with short rhizomes, so its a fairly dense plant. Nowhere near needing a larger pot yet.

I had some mealies enjoying it just before blooming, so thankfully it pulled through. First time dealing with them from new plants I should have isolated. Lesson learned.

Very pretty pearcei. As far as I can tell, the leaf tip die
back is practically inevitable. I've tried everything I can
think of...tested water both pour through and before, added more light, less light, very high humidity and lots
of air movement. I've gone through every possible cause
and still get the brown leaf tips. I just do what Happyrotter does...cut 'em off. My plants are healthy and bloom and grow well. I donno!

Dan, very well grown. It is one of my favourite phrags also. Mines also are having the same leaf tip problem because I grow them too cold. This grow naturally in the lowlands ( very hot and humid ).

Dan,

A very nice plant and very nice flowers.

But I do however have a strange "feeling" about this being a strait pearcei. The lip is quite elongated, there is a clear "notch" in rim on the front side of the lip and the lateral petals look a little strange to me.
But maybe I'm completely wrong. I'm tired after a busy day at work.

All the best,

Rob

Thanks, good to know I'm in the same bag (of brown leaves) as everyone else :rollhappy:

We have a big seasonal temperature swing here, so it gets cold winters and warm to hot summers. I let humidity drop to 40-50% during the day (windows open in spring/fall to keep temps down) and then climb back up to 75% at night.

As far as I know, it closely resembles others I've seen of the species on the web, but I can't say for sure its 100%. The tag says pearcei, I bought it from a local vendor. Maybe I'm missing something :p

Very nice Dan,great grown. Mine has the same die back on the leaves also. I have had few different ones and all did the same.

Latest posts

Back