Phrag. pearcei in habitat

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefrog

Reaction score
This is one of the Phragmipedium that I often encountered in the pre-mountains clear water streams and River of the Amazonian Peru. Always fun to see them in bloom. I've attached a video so that everyone can have a good idea of the habitat.

Attachments

• 20220509_142808.mp4
    21.7 MB
  • 20220509_142606[1].jpg
    20220509_142606[1].jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for sharing!
I've seen photos very similar to this but they did not show the surrounding area. So, open sky over the plant.
Do you know if it is usually this cloudy in the area or sunny?
Also, are the roots attached to the rock surface or are they in the water?
No wonder mine were so cranky in the bark mix. Too dry! lol

Do you know if it is usually this cloudy in the area or sunny?
Also, are the roots attached to the rock surface or are they in the water?
No wonder mine were so cranky in the bark mix. Too dry! lol

II would say its half the days of the year are cloudy, the rest is open sky sunny. In fact these plants can take full sun without any protection. The roots are attached to the rock, mixed with moss and dirt. The substrate is always very wet as it act as a sponge.

There is a lot of habitat information and photos in the culture article I wrote for the OD in 2020. Photos of the roots and the surrounding area. Pearcei is a warm grower and yes, you can cultivate these in seedling bark mix, not too open, and let them start to dry between waterings. Bright light and even direct sunlight are the norm, as with several other species of Phrags. When not submerged the plants subsist on humidity after it rains. There really is very little around the plants to retain water. Some grow in accumulated river sand but that drys quickly as well.

Mine are all in slatted pots for air with a raised bottom. I got them from repot me along with the Phrag media! They stand in trays with 1-2” of water and they are happy as pigs in mud. I am dreading the hot part of summer but I do have a plan this year to keep the foliage cooler!

The photo is enlightening as to habitat. Mine is in bud now and seems to enjoy lots of
air movement, humidity and sitting in water that's refurbished with clean water every
other day or so. I use slitted clay pots and all my species Phrags. are doing very
nicely.

Latest posts

Back