Phrag Pearcei - first Phrag to flower for me!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny St. Michel

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I got started on Phrags around this same time last year and Phrag pearcei was one of the first I bought. And it’s the first one to flower for me in my care. Super excited! It’s 100% worth the wait and work. I know there’s fancier flowers but since it’s my first “child” it’s my fave 🥰 I’m a proud mama

81719C1F-757F-499D-B437-C461BFA7C684.jpegE5B021BB-7EC7-4F67-B771-04296961BB20.jpeg

Lovely!

What are you growing in? It looks like tree fern?
It’s mostly lava rock in the plastic pot with small amount of tree fern mixed in and a thick layer of tree fern as a top layer. I water just about every day. It has lots of roots. I actually got this plant for free cause it was so beat up when shipped to me. But bounced back through the summer. Even with my cat chewing on the leaves. Lol

But bounced back through the summer. Even with my cat chewing on the leaves. Lol

A newly-opened box of strappy, thin and Oh-so-tasty-to-cats miniature phrags from the grower left innocent, tender and alone on the floor for a moment. The horror! The agony! The suffering! The satisfied feline smiles! The healing took me and the plants a year of repair. Lol...oy!

Yes, I really love this species. They're so cute and so pretty.

Also, I've learned my lesson with Phrags and cats. Apparently slipper orchids are the tastiest plant material ever invented, so tasty that even carnivores crave it. Actually, now that I think about it, why haven't I tried to nibble on my plant just to see if it's really that delicious?

So true about cats loving Phrags! Last winter I wrapped part of my grow area with Saran Wrap to keep them out. And I spayed them (cats) with water so much that now they don’t even mind. Thank you for the kind words everyone!!!! 😊

Such beauties. And Phrag Pearcei is not just my fave phrag, it's quite possible my fave flower of any kind. Sort of a spiritual connection. I lived in Maine (eons ago) when I started with orchids, and pearcei was among my very first too!

Wonderful flower, Jenny, thanks for showing!
I'm an absolute newby in Prags, last week I got my third one. Phrag pearcei is one of my favorite, too, love the beautyful and quiet colors... it will be my next acquisition.

Latest posts

Back