Phrag pearcei 'Crooked Creek' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
This is the plant that I've spoke of in two other threads as for it's true identity eg pearcei vs. richteri and flower count: natural light vs. fluorscent. Two different views of the flower and the third is of the whole plant, approx. 18 inch natural leaf span. Let me hear your thoughts. (it's in a 6" aircone pot)

PpearceiCC1-1.jpg

A different look/lighting
PpearceiCC4-1.jpg

PpearceiCCplant3-1.jpg

Great bloom!

But I don't think it's pearcei. Phrag pearcei does not have auricles on the lip opening that this bloom has. I circled the auricles in your photo here:

pearcei.jpg

My guess is that it's richteri or a similar natural hybrid between pearcei and probably boissierianum. Here's a link to an image of Phrag Taras (pearcei x boissierianum) for comparison:

http://www.slipperorchids.info/phragprimaries/PhragTaras1.jpg

--Stephen

Pearcei, mine are scale magnets! Well done.

Interesting. I've only had one phrag. (I've got over a hundred) get pests and it was my pearcei. It got mealies, though. It did finally croak. So, I'll enjoy other people's photos.

Great bloom!

But I don't think it's pearcei. Phrag pearcei does not have auricles on the lip opening that this bloom has. I circled the auricles in your photo here:

pearcei.jpg

My guess is that it's richteri or a similar natural hybrid between pearcei and probably boissierianum. Here's a link to an image of Phrag Taras (pearcei x boissierianum) for comparison:

http://www.slipperorchids.info/phragprimaries/PhragTaras1.jpg

--Stephen

Auricles can be present in richteri as well as the fine ruffling of the petals and dorsal sepal. Given the size its well within the variation of richteri. Boissierianum has huge floppy leaves. The plant doesn't look to have much if any boissierianum influence.

Thanks for the link Stephen. that helps a ton:)

Rick, your input is well valued. I think I'll stick with richteri for now on. Now I'm search of a true pearcei!

Latest posts

Back