Phrag new growth questions

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Although I have been growing slippers for 30 years I still have novice questions from time to time.

Question 1:
Is it recommended to remove old starting to discolor leaves from previously bloomed growths to support the new growth(s) health?

Question 2:
Does anyone use sphagnum and plastic to hold the sphagnum over a new growth base that is far above the media to encourage roots from the new growth (especially seen in my besseae and schlimii hybrids?

Thank you

Although I have been growing slippers for 30 years I still have novice questions from time to time.

Question 1:
Is it recommended to remove old starting to discolor leaves from previously bloomed growths to support the new growth(s) health?

Question 2:
Does anyone use sphagnum and plastic to hold the sphagnum over a new growth base that is far above the media to encourage roots from the new growth (especially seen in my besseae and schlimii hybrids?

Thank you
Is seems that the plant takes nutriments from the leaves that are dying and that's why one should let it be until crispy.
For the second question, it works. I've done it on one of my phrags and the roots developed fast into the sphagnum.

I agree. Don’t remove before they are crispy. Before that the plant will be removing useful nutrients from the dying leaf.
climbing growths are the bane of besseae hybrids. I use small plastic pots with the base removed. Slit them down one side and you can slide them round the offending growth. Then fill with the compost of your choice.

Chiming in to agree. I’ve experimented with keeping plants tidy by removing obviously fading growth vs. allowing them to do the full yellowing-to-rubbery-brown-to-crispy-brown cycle. Plants definitely do better when leaves are allowed to senesce.

Thank you.
I will leave old leaves until crispy.
my concern is that I have left old leaves and before I realized they developed bacterial rot that spread to a healthy part of plant.
I use Physan and ginger powder on bacterial rot when caught early. I know my watering sometimes goes overboard especially on my Catts and Phals because I over water my Phrags and my Paphs. Trying to let plants dry better and water early day less frequently.

I pull them off when they are completely brown. I don't want them becoming disease vectors. Regarding air layering stolonous growths, I put coarse perlite and diatomite with the moss to make air spaces and keep moist.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Thank you
Hi Michael,
I have used "air layering" as you described on several besseae hybids with a good degree of success. I always use a rooting hormone on the new division. wet, not soaking, sphagnum, tight saranwrap, tape and Al. foil. I usually see roots in a couple months.

Latest posts

Back