Phrag Memoria Mariza Rolando- bud opening

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update and whole plant shots

Hi,
full plant shot for Eric and a final bloom photo.
The flowering growth is around 15 inches across and maybe the first one to be close to full size.
The plant is a bit of a climber and I have had to add sphagnum to the base of the newest growth to encourage roots to develop. It seems to have worked.
There are two new growths just starting so it must be fairly happy.
The flower has stabilized at 9cm across and the petals are about 4cm across.
The bloom is very flat and so far there are no signs of the petals starting to reflex.
David

Attachments

• SRGC-img_8404.jpg
    SRGC-img_8404.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 70
  • SRGC-img_8406.jpg
    SRGC-img_8406.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 79
Phragh

Silvan
Thanks. The flower dropped off a bit unexpectedly and the second and only other bud has aborted. Probably a good thing as the plant is fairly small.
Now it is fingers crossed for the two new growths in about a years time!
David

I think the differences between your bloom and the ones shown on that link, can be accounted for by the various forms etc we see both in kovachii, as well as in Hanne Popow. As an example, think of the different Eric Youngs that we have seen..!

I have a Mem. Mariza Rolando, also from the EYOF, which has just opened today. It looks pretty similar to yours of course. The EYOF are pretty careful, so I would be very surprised if they got the parentage wrong. In any case, I'll photograph the bloom tomorrow and make a fresh post with it.

Damn..! This was sooo cute yesterday, but today one of the petals reflexed and this is what it now looks like. Maybe next year it will improve... I won't bother creating a separate thread for it.

Yes, a great pouch. The cross is of two of my favourite phrags, so I'm just really disappointed with the amount of reflex in the petals. But maybe in a year or two it will show something better...

Back