Phrag. Mem Juan Alberto Arias

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a photo of this cross which I just bloomed. I got flask from Peruflora on 5/15/15. Glad to send photo but not familiar with this forum. Contact me and I'll send photo.

This is a plant from a Peruflora flask purchased 5/15/15(6-5 (kovachii x (kovachii x Schlimii 'Hercules')). First one to bloom and initially thought it was the species kovachii because of the dark purple coloration. The size and shape are more the hybrid Juan Alberto Arais.

Attachments

• DSCN0404.JPG
    DSCN0404.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN0403.JPG
    DSCN0403.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN0402.JPG
    DSCN0402.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0401.JPG
    DSCN0401.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 17
Thanks! mine is from the very same cross. Are you happy with it?
Interesting colour and we can see the kovachi influenced yellow stripes on the inside of the lip.
Do you think that the petals will increase in size?
How big is the flower?
David

This is a plant from a Peruflora flask purchased 5/15/15(6-5 (kovachii x (kovachii x Schlimii 'Hercules')). First one to bloom and initially thought it was the species kovachii because of the dark purple coloration. The size and shape are more the hybrid Juan Alberto Arais.
Peruflora was the nursery i got this cross from too! about the same time as you.

Sorry about the various misconceptions but this plant came from Mark at Elite orchids about two years ago. Take a look at the photos from this morning. The plant is clearly a hybrid. The colour is a dull purple. Despite the big fat hairy bud the hybrid parentage now looks to be correct. The petals are nowhere near the size of a regular kovachii.
AF5D2BE8-6BF6-4C62-AE95-C369442B6DB3.jpeg
A7EBD4DC-7EAC-4856-9805-3123A6CC1D9F.jpeg
David

I’ll post again in a day or two. The petals are nothing like the size of a kovachii but overall it is very different from other hybrids I grow and it is going to be one huge flower, even with the smaller petals. The flower colour is still a strong dull purple.
if someone breeds a clone of this grex with big petals then it would be a true monster. It may need another back cross to kovachii to make this happen,
David

Back