Phrag Lovely Lynne 4n seedling progress

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These seedlings are from Mike Tibbs at the Exotic plant company in Holland and are a sibbing of two tetraploid clones of Lovely Lynne. It’s always a bit of a punt for me with seedling phrags. The last lot all rotted and died.
31DE0671-F69A-4785-82D8-5E734CF3DB80.jpeg
I potted these up as a clump after removing what agar I could under the tap. The base of the tray is bark, topped with sphagnum. They were put under a set of T5 lights (16hour days) for a few months and grew well. I didn’t cover them much at all with the plastic dome. Water was the usual rain water plus rain mix I use for the adults.
5D964355-4F31-47CD-99B2-B5EB7A8CC09B.jpeg
The third photo shows the root growth when I decided to repot the group.
A1250E47-76DC-4700-BB20-FA9C6A5A384D.jpeg
They are now in a normal sized seed tray. I thought that this might work after seeing Tom’s phrag besseae growing so well in trays.
B7360DE9-C94C-4C7D-BC5E-7A035B7C6CD9.jpeg

The base of the compost is leca and the topping is mini rockwool cubes. It is very open. They are still under the lights and receiving the same feed. The moss growth is just getting going. The leaves of some of the seedlings are a bit yellow, may be from the amount of light or it may just be that they need time to settle down.
The largest seedling in the bottom left is 12 cm across. I have used a seed tray with no holes in the bottom. When I water I just drain off any excess by tipping up the whole tray and pouring off in one corner.
It’s looks like there are about 25 seedlings still alive and growing quite quickly. I need to make some room!
David

These seedlings are from Mike Tibbs at the Exotic plant company in Holland and are a sibbing of two tetraploid clones of Lovely Lynne. It’s always a bit of a punt for me with seedling phrags. The last lot all rotted and died.
View attachment 31113
I potted these up as a clump after removing what agar I could under the tap. The base of the tray is bark, topped with sphagnum. They were put under a set of T5 lights (16hour days) for a few months and grew well. I didn’t cover them much at all with the plastic dome. Water was the usual rain water plus rain mix I use for the adults.
View attachment 31114
View attachment 31115
They are now in a normal sized seed tray. I thought that this might work after seeing Tom’s phrag besseae growing so well in trays.
View attachment 31116

The base of the compost is leca and the topping is mini rockwool cubes. It is very open. They are still under the lights and receiving the same feed. The moss growth is just getting going. The leaves of some of the seedlings are a bit yellow, may be from the amount of light or it may just be that they need time to settle down.
The largest seedling in the bottom left is 12 cm across. I have used a seed tray with no holes in the bottom. When I water I just drain off any excess by tipping up the whole tray and pouring off in one corner.
It’s looks like there are about 25 seedlings still alive and growing quite quickly. I need to make some room!
David
Wow, it looks great!! nice culture

View attachment 31113
View attachment 31114
View attachment 31115
View attachment 31116

David
How much time has elapsed between the onset of your trial and now?

View attachment 31113
View attachment 31114
View attachment 31115
View attachment 31116

David
Looks like only the bottom leaves are yellowing, your new leaves look great. I agree, better make some room!

Thanks!
I hope that if I can flower out several of these then there may be some colour differences from the purple plum of the two parents, whilst maintaining theit full shape. Something either towards the red/orange or the purple of the grandparents would be amazing.
The largest seedling already has a red pigment stripe running down through the middle of the plant so maybe there is some hope there!

Last edited:
Serge,
the compot was received and potted up on the 26th May this year.
The second photo shows then growing nicely on the 22nd July.
The repot into the seed tray took place on the 14th September.
David

View attachment 31113
View attachment 31114
View attachment 31115
View attachment 31116

David
I think you are on the right track, they look very healthy a vigorous. I had a similar disaster with my Roths but I shall try again.

Serge,
the compot was received and potted up on the 26th May this year.
The second photo shows then growing nicely on the 22nd July.
The repot into the seed tray took place on the 14th September.
David
Good. I got the same flask from MT mid Sept and I thought they were not doing too well but now I think I am on the right track. Thanks

Latest posts

Back