Phrag longifolium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK January's spike is still going and its on its 18th bloom!!! I can't believe this, there is another 19th bud. (somehow I think this is not normal. Is it?) The spike has curled back to facing the windowsill.

And its new growth has matured and it has a new spike. Not bad for a three growth plant on a windowsill. The only big flower quality flaw is the dorsal twist in every bloom

This is normal behavior for a healthy, happy longifolium. That is one of the reasons it gets used so often in hybrids. I have had longifolium spikes continue to bloom for as much as 3 years. Given enough sun & water they can go on for years. Good growing on your part.

Here's a photo of my slipper windowsill. The longifolium spike is really awkwards now.
DSCN5136.jpg

:clap::clap::clap: LOVELY window!
The longifolium was just making it easier to be part of the picture!

wow! nice flower display. I've been told that some people who grow phal lueddemanniana and hate the long spikes like that actually braid them into a circle to keep them manageable! You could take thin wire and train it to be wherever you want or make an upwards spiral from the plant (can be creative!) or something like that

I noticed that your outside conditions up there in edmonton resemble our usual state of 'upstate grey' (central ny has same or comparable levels of cloudy conditions as the northwestern u.s. west of the mountains); but still you have all the flowers, which is inspiring

OK January's spike is still going and its on its 18th bloom!!! I can't believe this, there is another 19th bud. (somehow I think this is not normal. Is it?) The spike has curled back to facing the windowsill.

And its new growth has matured and it has a new spike. Not bad for a three growth plant on a windowsill. The only big flower quality flaw is the dorsal twist in every bloom

This is very good and this specie can have very long spike and plenty of flowers. My longifolium 'Long Fellow' had 29 flowers on a single spike one day (not all open in the same time ;) )...

OK January's spike is still going and its on its 18th bloom!!! I can't believe this, there is another 19th bud. (somehow I think this is not normal. Is it? ....
Sounds normal to me! Mine started in June & is on #11.
Longifolium was not at the top of my want list but I had won a bid on ebay on another phrag (Stairway To Heaven, that I really wanted!) & the seller had a longifolium var.hincksianum 'Fernbrook' that no one bid on. She offered to ship it for free with the other plant, so I took it for $20, I'm glad I did, I really enjoy it!

thanks. I was suprised because the plant is still smallish, I thought I needed more growths for this sort of lengthy blooming. Longifolium was not on my want list either. It would be too large for my collection based on what I read on forums. I think I wanted a plant and someone at my society was a salesman and tempted me to get it. But I'm glad I got it, its worth growing!

Back