Phrag longifolium and new green house

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehanes7612

Reaction score
Well, landlord told me that there is a 99.9% possibility that in a couple years they are going to renovate the house..they said I could stay but it would mean being here while all the work is going on and a significant increase in rent afterwards (they didn't tell me that but it's usually how it works) ...I will have lived in this house for ten years at that point and will most likely mean that I will sell whatever I collect by then in one big sell , to make the move easier. Two years coincides well with wanting to get the hell out of seattle and pursue a Phd. (it was my plan anyway). My first quarter on Masters degree went well. SO I said, fug it!!..I am rebuilding my greenhouse. It's a modest 8 x 8 x 8 design that worked well for me last time I had it and I am really over having a 1000 watt bulb in my house. I miss having a space that is humid and warm , that I can hang out in. Think I will mostly grow phrags (long petaled types) and species again. I have a nice collection of anitum hybrids now, so I am happy with that experiment. Seattle orchids is a good source for species and recently, long petaled phrags. I picked up this longifolium yesterday. Pretty nice. I just hope I can bloom my roth raptor x new horizon in the next two years.

32617874788_b3edb8a3cf_b.jpg

44673665590_9a1e823c72_b.jpg

yes, it will have a slanted roof and the diagonal pieces, bottom left and right pieces are just temp now , until I can cut and fit, flush within the frame. Half the space will be heater, fan and humidifier , space to sit...other half will be shelves..will cover with 6 mil clear plastic and I still have my 70 % mylar cloth to cover in summertime...should be fully functional by mid march at the latest..taking it slow
44673607060_83a55a19b2_b.jpg

Congrats on finishing your first quarter in fine shape. The slog from Master's
to Doc is the ultimate test of endurance, my friend...especially the oral exam.
Ackkkk! Love the Phrag. If you have Phrags. to sell when you're ready,
let me know via PM.

Congrats on finishing your first quarter in fine shape. The slog from Master's
to Doc is the ultimate test of endurance, my friend...especially the oral exam.
Ackkkk! Love the Phrag. If you have Phrags. to sell when you're ready,
let me know via PM.

I should have some this summer...besseae hybrids from acker breeding

Moving sucks, but...if I'm not first on the list of people who you offer Phrags to I am going to fly out there and beat you! :viking: Good luck.

Nice longifolium!! Good luck on selling your plants!! My downhill stretch of orchid growing has landed me the worst enemy of the hobby lol.. I've been throwing mine away, nobody will buy them

Nice longifolium!! Good luck on selling your plants!! My downhill stretch of orchid growing has landed me the worst enemy of the hobby lol.. I've been throwing mine away, nobody will buy them

I don't really care if I sell them anymore...will sell what I can at the time and give the rest to the orchid society for their monthly raffle

Not true. It's just the West coast i have a problem with. The ocean seems to be on the wrong side and it really disorientates me, more than usual.

I have lived mostly on the east coast, but thanks to business travel, I have had to deal with OTTW syndrome (ocean to the west) many times, so adjust pretty quickly when there, but when I moved to Oak Island, I really got thrown a loop, as here, the ocean is south!

I have lived mostly on the east coast, but thanks to business travel, I have had to deal with OTTW syndrome (ocean to the west) many times, so adjust pretty quickly when there, but when I moved to Oak Island, I really got thrown a loop, as here, the ocean is south!

Sad, what if you went to Florida?,..where the Ocean is west, east and south...,mais alas, there is no ocean bordering Seattle, ..in fact...most of the western part of the US has no ocean, and you can visit cities that are on the ocean and never see the ocean (LA, SF, SD)..so, in reality, this is a moot problem..unless you actually go to the beach

I dont know about you East Coasters, but hard to beat watching a beautiful sunset on the beach. Unless you want to watch a sunrise on the beach I guess.
Now that I'm retired, I usually only get up that early to go fishing.

With Oak Island running east-west though, I can catch both sunrises and sunsets pretty easily, and when I go to the beach, the sun merely traverses left to right, rather than front to back (or back to front for you west coasters).

Latest posts

Back