Phrag. longifolium 'album' description.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Zuiderwijk

www.slipperiana.info
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just read the thread started by Candace concerning the description of Paph. kolopakingii f. katherinae which made me think of Phrag. longifolium 'album'. I remember two of those albino plants being presented to the world more or less at the same time somewhere in the second half of 2005. Forum colleague Kyle Lucyk took a photo of such plant during his trip to Ecuador and showed it to the forum. And Mr. Olaf Gruss wrote and depicted one such plant, which flowered at the nursery of Mr. Tom Kalina, in his article 'Albino Forms of the Slipper Orchids' in Orchid Digest 69(4).

Now for my question. Does anyone know if this form is officially described yet or if someone is about to do so? Normally it doesn't take so long for new forms of Slippers to be described.
It could also just mean that I haven't been paying enough attention the last two years.

All the best,

RZu.

Last edited:
To my knowledge it hasn't been described. It might be in the works. Olaf would know better then I.

The problem seems to be getting a herbarium of the flower. Everytime I've been back to Ecuador, I've either just missed it or I am to early to see the flowers again. The plant is in spike again.

I think Tom opted to pollenate his plant instead of making a herbarium.

Kyle

To my knowledge it hasn't been described. It might be in the works. Olaf would know better then I.

The problem seems to be getting a herbarium of the flower. Everytime I've been back to Ecuador, I've either just missed it or I am to early to see the flowers again. The plant is in spike again.

I think Tom opted to pollenate his plant instead of making a herbarium.

Kyle

Yes, one needs a herbarium specimen for a valid description. And with just two known plants owned by different people, I can imagine that trying to multiply this form is propably more important than getting it officially described.

RZu

I think all known plants are divisions of the same plant. Only one plant exists.

I've heard that someone has whats best described as an aureum/ flavum longifolium. All yellow pigment. I've never seen a picture.

Kyle

tHEN WHOSE PHOTO WAS IT!?:confused:

I think Kyle is referring to another plant then the one he photographed in Ecuador and which is on my website. That one is the 'album' plant. Kyle now mentions that someone has a plant with only yellow pigment.
Kyle, please correct me if I'm wrong?

All I know is that longifolium can be very variable in colour. I can't remember ever seeing a yellow-only specimen. Should look very interesting I think.

RZu.

I think Kyle is referring to another plant then the one he photographed in Ecuador and which is on my website. That one is the 'album' plant. Kyle now mentions that someone has a plant with only yellow pigment.
Kyle, please correct me if I'm wrong?

All I know is that longifolium can be very variable in colour. I can't remember ever seeing a yellow-only specimen. Should look very interesting I think.

RZu.
I'm not sure, but you might check with Tom Kalina of Fox Valley Orchids. He might be able to help.

The official description was not made and published now.
The reasons for were told by Kyle correctly.

Best greetings

Olaf

Yes. I've never seen the 'Yellow' one so I don't know if it really exists or someone was just pulling my leg. However, I have no reason to doubt the person who told me they have it.

Kyle

Robs page isn't working for me right now, but What does he have pictures of?

Kyle

Latest posts

Back