Phrag longifolium albino

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slippertalker

Reaction score
as promised, this was a seedling from Tom Kalina from his selfing:

012.jpg

009.jpg

002.jpg

I love that green color. But I'm not sure I'd grow it though.. How long as it take to get from seedling to flowering size ?

Hi Bill,

As far as I know, your's is the first Phrag. longifolium fma album 'Fox Valley Mint' (x self) seedling to bloom, and it's beautiful. Great job of growing the seedling to blooming size! As far as culture, the seedlings are good growers under typical P. longifolium conditions - at least for us. Not sure if Bill did anything special, but it would be interesting to know.

As a side note, this is one of the most difficult of Phrag species to grow out of flask. There were only ninety-one seedlings that reached saleable size out of eleven flasks! Once the survivors reached leaf spans of 6-7 inches, however, they grew like little weeds. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

As far as I know, your's is the first Phrag. longifolium fma album 'Fox Valley Mint' (x self) seedling to bloom, and it's beautiful. Great job of growing the seedling to blooming size! As far as culture, the seedlings are good growers under typical P. longifolium conditions - at least for us. Not sure if Bill did anything special, but it would be interesting to know.

As a side note, this is one of the most difficult of Phrag species to grow out of flask. There were only ninety-one seedlings that reached saleable size out of eleven flasks! Once the survivors reached leaf spans of 6-7 inches, however, they grew like little weeds. Thanks for sharing!

I didn't do anything special other than keep the roots wet like longifolium likes, but I do have very good water too. The plant is always in a small pool of water. This plant has one mature growth and 3 more that are about 3/4 of maturity. It is quite a lovely flower in person.....

Hi Bill,

Actually, the plant that you refer to as Phrag. longifolium fma album 'Fox Valley Mint' is actually Phrag. longifolium fma album 'Pepe'. It is a division of Pepe Portilla from Ecuagenera's longifolium album and you even aknowledged this on the other slipper orchid forum. With this knowledge Mr Kalina, you continue to perpetuate fraud. The plant is not and never was 'Fox Valley Mint'. Pepe verified this to you when you called him on the clonal name for his plant. In your rush for endless self promotion it seems you forgot about the real clonal name and the real owner of the mother plant...

Would you like me to repost your own words here?

I think its time to honestly represent the correct clonal name and origin of the plant don't you think?

Hi Frank,

Glad to see you back on the forum; your self proclaimed expertise has been missed. Regardless of your opinion on this matter, there is no fraud here. There's no secret that Mr. Portilla was the original owner of our plant, but when we purchased a division, he can tell you there was no clonal name on the tag. When we were successful in selfing that un-named clone, I applied the 'Fox Valley Mint' clonal name. If Mr. Portilla would like us to change the clonal name 'Pepe' to reflect his ownership of the original plant, that's fine with me; he has only to ask.

Best Regards, Tom

Cheyenne,

Wish there were more as well, but Bill is correct - long fma album and besseae fma flavum are the only ones we know of. Eric - the only white or almost white schlimiis we've seen are those bloomed under very warm conditions. When grown cool, however, the pink color returns on these clones. Our schlimii 'White Star' clone is one of these.

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back