Phrag longifolium albino

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheyenne,

Wish there were more as well, but Bill is correct - long fma album and besseae fma flavum are the only ones we know of. Eric - the only white or almost white schlimiis we've seen are those bloomed under very warm conditions. When grown cool, however, the pink color returns on these clones. Our schlimii 'White Star' clone is one of these.

Thanks,

I think there used to be a Phrag. schlimii albiflorum, which was an "almost" white schlimii, but unfortunately is now considered lost. Instead of having a pink pouch it had a white pouch, but looking at the painting, it looks like there where some pink/red pigments on the inside of the rim or pouch, so it was not a "true" album form.

for the picture see:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586&page=3

Robert

I don't like longifolium (don't even own one).......But, I like this and I want it!!!!

Quick, put besseae v. flavum pollen on that and make some big, bright, concolor yellow Eric Youngs!

I think there used to be a Phrag. schlimii albiflorum, which was an "almost" white schlimii, but unfortunately is now considered lost.
According to the discussion in the thread at the link posted, Ecuagenera had schlimii albiflorum in stock in 2006. Does anybody know if they lost them all; or, do they still have them. Or, did they even actually truly have this variety?

No, they never had any white schlimii. Just pale ones.

Congrats on the flower.

I don't know the story. Did this the longifolium pop up in a cross of colored ones or was it wild collectd originally?

Just like someone found out if you treat the protocorms with chemicals they can turn 4n, I wish someone would find a way to treat them to surpress their ability to make pigments. They would be very rich.

Hi Frank,

Glad to see you back on the forum; your self proclaimed expertise has been missed. Regardless of your opinion on this matter, there is no fraud here. There's no secret that Mr. Portilla was the original owner of our plant, but when we purchased a division, he can tell you there was no clonal name on the tag. When we were successful in selfing that un-named clone, I applied the 'Fox Valley Mint' clonal name. If Mr. Portilla would like us to change the clonal name 'Pepe' to reflect his ownership of the original plant, that's fine with me; he has only to ask.

Best Regards, Tom

I have never left the forum, nor have I "self proclaimed" any expertise. Unlike some, self aggrandizement has never been my style. If I can help I will. I think Pepe did in fact tell you the clonal name of the plant was "Pepe", and that it did indeed have a tag as such when you aquired the division. In fact, you did state that given the facts, you would change the clonal name back to "Pepe". On December 21, 2006 at 3:00 PM you posted on the SlipperOrchidForum:

"I've been in contact with the original owner of our Phrag. longifolium var album, Jose Portilla, and he informs me that he did breed the original plant under a different clonal name before we purchased a piece of it. Because of his prior use of this plant for breeding purposes. We will change our clonal name of `Fox Valley Mint' to `Pepe' to comply with current practices. The original owner also assured me that Fox Valley Orchids has the only division of this particular clone so I must assume yours has a different clonal name ? It would be great if there was more than one clone......."

So which is it, Pepe Portilla breed with the plant and it already has a clonal name and you are going to change the name back, or all of a sudden he told you there was no clonal name he did not breed with the plant? Fraud is knowing the plant had a clonal name, knowing the plant was used in breeding, and hijacking the clonal name. Sorry, but a spade is a spade.

This is not the first time someone has noticed a misrepresented clonal name on one of your plants is it?

Bill - I apologize for Frank's hijacking of a thread that should have been a celebration of your growing skills, and appreciation of a beautiful plant in bloom, but this has been going on for years and I don't suppose it'll stop any time soon.

Best, Tom

No problems Tom, I didn't realize that this was such a point of contention. LOL, I will have my own name on this plant........

Thanks for sending such a vigorous seedling of a special variety.....

Bill

No problems Tom, I didn't realize that this was such a point of contention. LOL, I will have my own name on this plant........

Thanks for sending such a vigorous seedling of a special variety.....

Bill

That is just gorgeous! A real beauty! An that will be a great plant to put your name on it! :clap:

I’m too very happy to see it! I was worrying about the result of that selfing after seeing the Eric Young made with it… I can’t hardly wait to see mine in bloom now…

About the clone name, usually growers and especially breeders, use different name on their plants to recognise a particular plant. And for me I think it is normal when you have a business or a trade mark to use a particular name. But the knowledge of the source of the plan should be kept in our data for further demand.

But in my opinion, considering a fraud to change an unregistered clone name is not quite right.. The word is a little bit to excessive, in fact it is more a question of regard than fraud…

But I do agree, when buying a registered or an awarded plant, changing it’s name will be a fraud, we should never change a registered clone name.

Hi Jean-Pierre,

I'm sure your's will be as beautiful as Bill's and you can apply whatever clonal name you wish. I, too, was a bit nervous after the first few Phrag. Eric Young (longifolium fma album x besseae fma flavum) sdlgs bloomed, especially when they were not the clear yellow that was expected, but with a good amount of pink mixed with the yellow. It was the same with our first yellow besseae selfing - which Guido said would be normally colored and not yellow. Thank God Guido was wrong, because I ended up having to guarantee the color would be yellow to the customers who spent a large amount of money for those flasks, or return the money!

As far as a registered clonal name having priority, I agree completely. Regardless of the breeder, when you buy a plant with a clonal name attached, it should never be changed, especially if the plant was already used for breeding, otherwise we'd lose track of the plants breeding performance. But when you buy a plant without a clonal name on the tag and you plan to breed it you should attach a clonal name to it to separate it from others of the same species in your breeding program. If the original owner then contacts you and asks you to apply a different clonal name, it's up to you. If someone other than the original owner demands this be done, especially someone with a hidden agenda, then you have to use your best judgment.

Interestingly enough, Mr. Portilla told me during a subsequent visit that a certain customer tried to buy a division of that clone at a much lower price, claiming it was the normally colored form. Luckily, someone recognized the plant for what it was and the transaction was stopped.

Best Regards,

Latest posts

Back