Phrag. Living Fire ‘Kernersville’ (3N) has spots!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This from Hadley Cash’s Phrag collection purchased by Bill Goldner (Woodstream). It’s sentimental to me because of Hadley’s passing. Any idea what these spots are? They are on the older growth rather than the newest. Could it be underwatering? They seemed to be minimal until I was a couple days late watering.

Attachments

• F1136212-86CA-4953-A2FC-B450D3BD9874.jpeg
    F1136212-86CA-4953-A2FC-B450D3BD9874.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 4118AC90-4C8B-40A6-B12B-9CD4E24DB3F2.jpeg
    4118AC90-4C8B-40A6-B12B-9CD4E24DB3F2.jpeg
    821.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 4B199047-177A-4DBF-A773-79693CEE8C1D.jpeg
    4B199047-177A-4DBF-A773-79693CEE8C1D.jpeg
    610.7 KB · Views: 0
I bought it from Bill at the VOS show last March. I noticed some of this last spring/summer and posted about it, but I don’t think anyone commented and it seemed to correct itself, staying on the oldest leaves. Only recently has it seemed to be spreading. Here are the photos from July.
https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/help-whats-this-in-my-leaf.53760/

I wouldn't worry - they seem old injuries that are resorbed, due, most likely, to the previous owner's cultural practice (likely insect or fungal). The new tissue seems fine.

I bought it from Bill at the VOS show last March. I noticed some of this last spring/summer and posted about it, but I don’t think anyone commented and it seemed to correct itself, staying on the oldest leaves. Only recently has it seemed to be spreading. Here are the photos from July.
https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/help-whats-this-in-my-leaf.53760/
There is currently one leaf with a brown tip. Older ones have been trimmed, so obviously had browning because I would not have trimmed otherwise, (except one for virus test). Not bugs. I’ve looked with a microscope. So perhaps fungal but seems odd to me that this is the only plant with a problem. Although if it came in with it…

It could be fungal.
It could be due to poor air movement. Since I put a fan on my Phrags 24/7 two years ago, they are looking better. But in my experience it is very difficult to grow perfectly clean Phrags.!!!

It could be fungal.
It could be due to poor air movement. Since I put a fan on my Phrags 24/7 two years ago, they are looking better. But in my experience it is very difficult to grow perfectly clean Phrags.!!!
Thanks, but none of my others have this problem, even though it is right next to them on the shelf. This one is huge, with very substantial leaves. Different from my besseae and others with slender leaves, but it is in a 6" pot. My besseae are all seedlings.

Latest posts

Back