Phrag La Vingtaine des Mathias

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccallen

Reaction score
(Sunset Glow x kovachii) it seems from the size of the plant and flower that the Sunset Glow might have been a tetraploid

At first I was disappointed with this one because the petals seemed very wavy and short but it turns out they were still growing, they stretched out nicely and the flower is quite wide, the largest flower of any of my kovachii hybrids.

The heavy flower hangs down a little though

DA1B725E-C95E-4C9D-B27E-DF9D4BCBDFB0_zps4octifc9.jpeg

Nice big flower. I have one that is very similar in appearance. It is Bel Royal x kovachii. I took a look at the background of these and discovered that Sunset Glow = Eric Young x MDC and Bel Royal = Sorcerer's Apprentice x MDC. Eric Young and Sorcerer's Apprentice are both longifolium hybrids. So, I guess it makes sense that they would be similar in appearance. Mine has that same pink color and has a spread of 17.4 cm. The really nice thing about the plant is that it forms clumps and the flower spikes started branching after a few years. I suspect this will be true for your plant too. Mike

Interesting, I remember this was one of the first Pk hybrids made but was impossible to find around. Where did it come from, if I may ask? EYOF I bet.

Latest posts

Back