Phrag kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrueNorth

Reaction score
The flower has been open for a couple of days. Also a couple of plant shots for Eric. I've been growing it at room temperature. The spike is a lot shorter this year. I usually have to move it to the basement so the spike doesn't hit the lights.

kovachii8_Feb2018.jpg

kovachiiplant.jpg

kovachiisideview.jpg

Very nice, thanks for the photos. Those fans must be working overtime!

Not really. I turn one on just after I water and let it run a couple of hours. I don't where the idea that they're cool growing came from. According to

www.phragmipediumkovachii.com/PKculture/PK-culture.htm

the average summer temp in the habitat is 26 and 18 in the winter (79 and 64). I've found the information on this site very useful.

I've always grown it warm and for a couple of years I had no air conditioning, so it got pretty hot.

I've crossed it with this Barbara LeAnn I posted last Sept. Hopefully it takes.

Barbara_Le_Ann.jpg

Eric, It would be perfectly happy growing on top of your stove. :poke::rollhappy:

I use a medium like the one described on the link above, with the addition of styrofoam peanuts. I put a layer of diatomite and gravel in the bottom, fill in about half the space around the roots with styrofoam peanuts, and then fill the pot with a mixture of chopped NZ sphagnum, perlite, charcoal, gravel and limestone bits.

I am surprised it is so happy growing warm. Mine really prefers to have cool nights. It is somewhat prone to Erwina if the night temperature is near 20 C and it resume gast growing only in intermediate to cool conditions. What are your temperatures at night, TrueNorth?

It's growing indoors under lights, so there's not much temperature variation. The heat has been set at 21+ all winter. Maybe the dry air helps prevent rot. I find I have to water twice as often since I got a new furnace a couple of years ago. Maybe I just got a tougher clone. Keep doing whatever works for you.

It's growing indoors under lights, so there's not much temperature variation. The heat has been set at 21+ all winter. Maybe the dry air helps prevent rot. I find I have to water twice as often since I got a new furnace a couple of years ago. Maybe I just got a tougher clone. Keep doing whatever works for you.

And the day temperature is usually from 20 to 24 C even in summertime?

Latest posts

Back