Phrag. kovachii (phrag. kovachii #2 x phrag. kovachii #1)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteM

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is a first bloom seedling from a Chuck Acker sourced flask. I acquired these seedlings back in 2014, 2 of the 3 survived and this is the first to bloom. A bit of a color break but not a bad showing for it's first bloom. Just cracked open last night and still opening up.

enjoy.

A3916558-5355-4873-B4A1-8A491CEB1982.jpeg852704DC-A2CF-4A46-9A8D-224DBAA42BAE.jpeg2129685A-2B68-487F-ADC5-8F07FCCC99A4.jpeg

Nicely done! How have you been growing it? I also have a kovachii acquired as a seedling that's been slowly chugging along but no blooms yet.

I’ve got the details on my specific culture here:

Post in thread 'Phrag. kovachii ‘Laura’'
Phrag. kovachii ‘Laura’
Thank you! There's some really useful information there. I put mine outside in a cold frame last summer (I literally live on a river, in a floating home community) and that's when it showed me I finally did something to make it happy. I think the cool nights, not so warm days and constant humidity from the river was what helped. I noticed it grew its own moss while it was outside. It's under LED lights in the winter and I keep it constantly wet but once it warms up it's going back outside.

Congrats!! I'm not that into phrags, but this species in bloom is always a stunner!!
Is it my eyes or are those leaves rather narrow for the species? I like it because they usually are dark green and chunky.
So, it has taken about 9 years to bloom it? How are the other seedlings doing?

This is a first bloom seedling from a Chuck Acker sourced flask. I acquired these seedlings back in 2014, 2 of the 3 survived and this is the first to bloom. A bit of a color break but not a bad showing for it's first bloom. Just cracked open last night and still opening up.

enjoy.

View attachment 39029View attachment 39030View attachment 39031
Gorgeous! Well grown!!!!

Congrats!! I'm not that into phrags, but this species in bloom is always a stunner!!
Is it my eyes or are those leaves rather narrow for the species? I like it because they usually are dark green and chunky.
So, it has taken about 9 years to bloom it? How are the other seedlings doing?
Th plant maybe 9+ years old but I’ve been growing it so poorly over the years, as a result the leaf size does not match the plants age.

Yes, one of the seedlings didn’t make it this long.. the other seedling from this original group of 3 is about the same size and will probably try to bloom this next year. I need a few more years of growing to get the foliage for these two up to par.

So cute.

I wonder if that line on the left petal is due to fast opening from warm night Ts?

Possible, temps have been pretty consistent with the other kovachii openings, still on the chillier side of grow rooms annual temp flux. It probably has more to do with its first bloom out of the gate. I’ve noticed the petals are not as round as other clones, will be interesting to see if any of this improves next round. I’ll be marking the tag to note this.

Th plant maybe 9+ years old but I’ve been growing it so poorly over the years, as a result the leaf size does not match the plants age.

Yes, one of the seedlings didn’t make it this long.. the other seedling from this original group of 3 is about the same size and will probably try to bloom this next year. I need a few more years of growing to get the foliage for these two up to par.
The fact that it still managed to bloom is great! All that waiting, you know?
I wonder how long the flower lasts on this species. One month give or take like phrags typically does?

The fact that it still managed to bloom is great! All that waiting, you know?
I wonder how long the flower lasts on this species. One month give or take like phrags typically does?
I believe less than a month but longer than I expected. I’ll time the next one. I also followed up with Chuck on the parentage, he mentioned these were the first two to bloom of his collection that he used for breeding.. so maybe this trait influences the progeny to bloom on smaller sized leaves. I agree fact that they bloomed is great.

Latest posts

Back