Phrag. kovachii 'Morobamba'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the explanation of which seedlings might be mixed into the crosses; I was reading through the pages of the thread to ask the question 'how do you know if an outcross you've made will actually take, and not be the result of a flower selfing itself?' I guess you don't really know. Is there some technique that you could do to open up the bud before it can self, and remove the pollen so that it will only be an outcross?

Typically removing the pollen immediately (as the flower is still opening) will decrease the chance of self-pollination. However, if the pollen is already touching the stigmatic surface while the flower opens, you are bound to get some selfings. The good thing about making hybrids is that within less than a year out of the flask, the seedlings themselves will show the difference in leaf shape and size. Hybrids will grow faster, and selfings will grow slower with a particular shape and sheen to the leaves that's easy for me to recognize. When you plant out as many seedlings as I have over the past 20+ years, it gets easy to recognize species just by looking at the foliage of a seedling!

If kovachii self pollinates does that mean it does not depend on a natural pollinator?

And this is actually going to be a question....
If the natural wild population is reproduced by self pollination then the kovachii seedlings that are "crosses" between two selected clones are probably not representative of what a "wild" plant would be. That is unless the seed was actually produced by self pollination. So my question is how would this effect the growth of the seedlings? Maybe this can help explain the slow growth and slow maturity of the seedlings? Genetics mixed incorrectly?

Latest posts

Back