Phrag. kovachii ('Maximus' x 'Goliath')

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Fischer

www.orchidweb.com
Reaction score
Hello all. I thought I'd start a new thread on this one, so people don't have to search for all the pics.

This kovachii was de-flasked in the spring of 2005, almost taking 5 years to flower. It is the first kovachii we have flowered. We had one from the same batch spike last summer, but it blasted at early development. Apparently, kovachii are very easy to blast. Chuck Acker told me at least 5 plants bud blasted on him this season!

We currently have 2 more kovachii in low bud.

It currently measures 15 cm across with 8 cm wide petals. Quite impressive. I have not seen kovachii before, but I believe this is average size. Most likely, as with any other phrag, the flower will be larger on the next flowering.

We are growing in 100% medium grade diatomite and standing the plant in 1/2" water, flushing 3-4 times per week. I hope to experiment in the near future with drip systems as I'd rather have constant water movement than stand-still in water.

Enjoy the pics!

kovachii.jpg

kovachiiback.jpg

kovachiiplant.jpg

kovachiigroup.jpg

Left Top: Hayley Decker (kovachii x St. Ouen)
Middle Top: kovachii
Right Top: Allison Strohm (kovachii x Living Fire 4N)
Bottom Left: besseae
Bottom Right: besseae flavum

The sky's the limit for breeding potential. They are so beautiful I don't have words to capture it.............

spectacular display?

do you know why kovachii buds blast so easily? is it because of a change in humidity or temperature during the bud formation?

...... We had one from the same batch spike last summer, but it blasted at early development. Apparently, kovachii are very easy to blast. Chuck Acker told me at least 5 plants bud blasted on him this season!

Great encouragement for all the small kovachii seedlings owners :):):)!!! Nevertheless, congratulations to the growers and thanks for those super shots!!!! Jean

The Phrag Council thanks you for your poster! :D Your Pk is lighter than the one that got knocked off the plant at WOC but its shape so far is nicer.

Hi,

Just out of curiosity;
Robert tells us it's 'Tupac Amaru' x 'Goliath'.
Jason calls it 'Maximus' x 'Goliath'.
Which is it?

Still a great looking flower.

All the best,

Rob Z.

Latest posts

Back