Phrag kovachii "long leaves VS short leaves"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm wondering if there is an issue with "long leaves" VS "short leaves" on Phrag kovachii plants.

I explain: I have one plant, got from the first flasks made (about 10 years ago, WOC Dijon, France). The cross is Tupac Amaru x another very nice flower (I think I still have picture somewhere). The plant has grown very big, growths other 50cm wide with long, narrow leaves.

I also have (not my plants) two other plants with much shorter leaves, darker and wider.

The one with narrow, long leaves seems to be reluctant to bloom: never had any sheath on the growths, whereas one of the two others plants seems to be in sheath now.

I've had a discussion with a friend that says he has seen many big plants with narrow and long leaves in Ecuador but none were blooming in the nursery he visited, whereas in another nursery, there were many kovachii, smaller plants with short leaves that were in bloom or have already bloomed.

so, in your experience, has anyone experienced that??
I would really hope to see my first plant blooming some day... :confused:

here is the mother plant... do you know it's name?

Attachments

• kovaPG.jpg
    kovaPG.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 39
short leaves:

P1220823.JPG

long leaves
P1220824.JPG

I went to Manola Arias talk on kovachii in Orlando last fall.

He said that with successive generations in culture he is seeing his plants become more "compact". He thought it was selective pressure. But I think its more cultural since he grows in a dryer/hotter place than the original habitat, and offers a different chemical regime.

It's not cultural here, and they probably are same generation but different crosses. I can see the difference between the plants, even if you don't see it very much in the photos. And my plant has never produced any sheath by now... hope next year, as usual lol

Latest posts

Back