Phrag. kovachii 'Littlefrog Magenta Princess'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do tell do tell.. what are the secrets to unlocking this flower!!
Not sure. I think they are still relatively rare just because they take forever to grow... Speed will improve as more line breeding happens. You can buy a third generation flask from Chuck Acker (I think third generation) today if you want, not even that expensive - while supplies last, you'll have to take that up with him - I already have mine.

Lots of oyster shell in the mix, and I top dress with more a couple times a year. Other than that, pretty much like I grow besseae, as cool as I can in the summer and constant moisture.

Now if someone somewhere could get that purple color into a giant sized hybrid flower, that would be great!

Now if someone somewhere could get that purple color into a giant sized hybrid flower, that would be great!
I agree. Seems they all go pink, some very nice pinks of course, but not purple. I have picked up a few flasks of Apollo and some other hybrids with >50% kovachii, and only have bloomed out a few so far. But, pinks, not purples, so far . . .

Kate

Did you happen to purchase any of Chuck's Fall River x kovachii flask? I'm thinking I might see some darker shades from this cross. I have a couple of dozen of these plants that should bloom in 2-3 years and I am keeping my fingers crossed. Mike

Hi Mike,
Yes, I did pick up one of those and, I agree, that something nice with fischerii in it seems like a good candidate. Mine are little still. I have one Samuel Crothers that is, well, disappointing. However, I wouldn’t mind seeing a good one of those crossed back to kovachii. Best, Kate

Kate, Mem Juan Alberto Arias is a large purple flower. It’s 75% kovachii.
D
Hi David, Of course! (Although no memoria) I see that Peruflora registered that cross in 2015. I have not seen one myself, but that definitely sounds like what I am looking for. Best, Kate. Maybe if we all ask nicely, Chuck will make some for us.:)

Latest posts

Back