Phrag. kovachii hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papheteer

Reaction score
Are the hybrids between kovachii and sequential bloomers, like Haley Decker and Suzane Decker, inherit the sequential blooming trait? If they do, do they produce the same number of flowers as their sequential blooming parent?

We are only on a first blooming on many of the crosses. So far I have not seen more than 2 flowers, blooming sequentially on the 4 hybrids that are being sold by Piping Rock. Time will tell.

According to Glen it takes several years for a phrag to fully mature.
Patience, time will tell as Ron indicated.

I've only bloomed one, but it had two flowers and no desire to throw a third. I'll reserve judgment until the next blooming, but I suspect they are never going to carry a lot of flowers.

Yep - Ramon - That's our boy Eric! :rollhappy::rollhappy:
What would this forum be like without him?! Look at how much we :poke: at his photography skills!

In his presentation at the WOC Phragmipedium kovachii: Beyond the Discovery, Alfredo Manrique said that with good culture (see Glen Deckers website) that the larger plants and the divisions are getting three blooms per spike. He said this is why they are able to make so many hybrids so fast. I didn't think to ask about timing (sequential??).

And Do Not Forget In The Habitat There Are Plants With 5-7 Flowers Seats Single Stems. Reports On Branching Kovachii?? Yes, Also There Are Some Branching Stems For Varieties Of Pk...

And Do Not Forget In The Habitat There Are Plants With 5-7 Flowers Seats Single Stems. Reports On Branching Kovachii?? Yes, Also There Are Some Branching Stems For Varieties Of Pk...

Too bad, with the limitation of 5 plants quota for the 3 breeders who got the permits ( Did'nt they apply to collect another sets)
They don't have the branching material to make the hybrids that have this tendency?

hopefully, with further breeding we will see sequential bloomers and flower count go up, as well as a longer blooming season. The one's that I have seen of the hybrids that have had more than one flower, the flowers open sequentially and not at the same time.

It is my understanding that Alfredo has gotten the kovachii culture down to point that he has been able to get the plants to spike even in the heat of Lima's summer.

Correct Ron

It Is Now Our Hot Summer And Pks Are Just Starting To Bloom. PÍcs? Ok, Next Week.

Hien

Permit N° 4 Of Mr Manrique Collected One Plant With 5 Flower Seats Stem And One Branching Stem Variety...

It Is Now Just A Matter Of Time...lets Wait.

I was at Alfredo Manrique's nursery in Lima two weeks ago and all his PK are in spike with fuzzy buds. Hopefully Isaias is going to take some pictures for us.

Correct Ron

It Is Now Our Hot Summer And Pks Are Just Starting To Bloom. PÍcs? Ok, Next Week.

Hien

Permit N° 4 Of Mr Manrique Collected One Plant With 5 Flower Seats Stem And One Branching Stem Variety...

It Is Now Just A Matter Of Time...lets Wait.

I am happy to hear that Mr. Manrique get a plant with branching habit to make hybrids from.
This time, did he wait for them to flower in the habitat in order to chose the plants with the flowers that he like best?

Isaias, did you go on the last collecting hike? Alfredo had invited me but I wasn't able to make it and I think I am still emotionally recovering from my last drive over the Andes.

Latest posts

Back