Phrag kovachii - Chuck Acker's Plant - a week late

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myself I like pure Pk better than the hybrids I've seen so far. I had two Pk...one died but the second one is growing very well. I also have a Pk x wallisii seedling.

Thanks, Leo.

I've had such poor luck with kovachii seedlings, I'm reluctant to get anymore right now...

I agree with you,
I had all the flasks (various pk crosses) from Peru-flora. The plants were too small. They did not make it.
I also had the species flasks (much larger then Peru-flora) from Glen. Twice, they were killed by insects.
Then I have medium size different hybrid of pk from Glen, again the insects devoured them. (the exception are the pk x Living Fire from Glen, something in the back-ground of the "Living Fire" parent seems to give them the edge to survive)

The color on the one at the WOC seemed darker, more toward purple, but maybe it was just the lighting or the closeness of the floor the bloom was lying on after it was knocked off!

I didn't know that somebody had already bloomed a pure kovachii. I thought that this one by Chuck was the first....at least in the USA and Canada. So, are there any photos of the one at the WOC? Who owned/grew it? .....And who knocked the flower off? If not the owner, did the owner let them live!?

Hello all.
I did not get to see Pk at the WOC.
Who was the owner?
After seeing Pk with flower, are flask available (species)
to the hobbyist?
And also, the photography on this site is beyond words.
Thank you Clark

the one at the woc was imported in flower from peru by peru flora.

I agree with you,
I had all the flasks (various pk crosses) from Peru-flora. The plants were too small. They did not make it.
I also had the species flasks (much larger then Peru-flora) from Glen. Twice, they were killed by insects.
Then I have medium size different hybrid of pk from Glen, again the insects devoured them. (the exception are the pk x Living Fire from Glen, something in the back-ground of the "Living Fire" parent seems to give them the edge to survive)

I have also bought 2 small flasks from Peruflora with very small plants inside :mad:. It was very hard to make them start but now I have a dozen that grows. Now maybe a couple years to bloom the first ...

I didn't know that somebody had already bloomed a pure kovachii. I thought that this one by Chuck was the first....at least in the USA and Canada. So, are there any photos of the one at the WOC? Who owned/grew it? .....And who knocked the flower off? If not the owner, did the owner let them live!?

The first (or one of the first) to bloom out of flask, I think is from "La Cour des Orchidées", a French producer, last months.

There is a nursery in France http://www.lacourdesorchidees.fr/index.htm they have bloomed PK already (at least the picture is their website since at least two months) and they claim "Probably the first blooming of Pk grown from in vitro culture" (Probablement la première floraison de Phragmipedium kovachii issue de culture In Vitro) <-- who knows whether true... :poke:

...and I saw one bloming in The Netherlands, but cannot say whether wild collected (I doubt as the plant was too small, to "healthy", and it was in a show)...

There is a nursery in France http://www.lacourdesorchidees.fr/index.htm they have bloomed PK already (at least the picture is their website since at least two months) and they claim "Probably the first blooming of Pk grown from in vitro culture" (Probablement la première floraison de Phragmipedium kovachii issue de culture In Vitro) <-- who knows whether true... :poke:

Yes! It's true, and a few French growers have plants from the same producer that have grown very fast and are now mature (remember the plant of Philippe, here...)

Ummmm, I hate to say this but Pk has been out and about for a while. The hybrids I got and traded were previously bloomed! I know I took a photo of the one at the WOC but I'm not sure whether I posted it in the thread.

Um, Hien, I don't think the cross is really a solution to the problem! :poke:

Clark, so far, Glen Decker at Piping Rock has had the largest Pk plants that I've seen for sale. Flasks, I don't come across often but you might try Orchidview.

Um, Hien, I don't think the cross is really a solution to the problem! :poke:

Clark, so far, Glen Decker at Piping Rock has had the largest Pk plants that I've seen for sale. Flasks, I don't come across often but you might try Orchidview.

I know, different insects are the solution:D

Thanks for the info Eric. After reading post about preorder with
A. Manrique, I thought maybe you were getting some younger Pk.
Have a great trip to DC, we almost went this year.
Can ladybugs and geckos share living space?

I don't really have a pest problem, although even after the Merit 75 and Neem a few plants are hiding our little friends :( ;but I thought they would be cool and I can put some on the Cyps in the gardens! BTW, I'm getting some Pk hybrids.

As mentioned before, I believe kovachii x Living Fire from Piping rock is a strong cross in term of survival, that I would recommend.
I have two survived plants of the same cross left from previous purchase, but this weekend, I got a in-spike one from Glen at Deepcut show .

Attachments

• kovachii x living fire.JPG
    kovachii x living fire.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Dot, happy to be here! Are there photos of your
basement growing area, possibly on another thead?
I also bought Pk x Living Fire at Deepcut in 2007. No buds yet,
but growing like a weed the last 3-4 months.

Wow! Those photos are very nice! I can't stand to see mine in bloom too...
Mine ane doing very well in moss media, the same I use for all my other one. I just put a little bit more of bone meal as a top dressing. And they are doing very well and easy to grow. And hopping some will bloom this year...!

Beautiful photos! I think it's an awesome bloom. I could stare at it all day. Mine has a long way to go, as it's about 5" so far! :rollhappy: The bloom is so fuzzy..like velvet. It's my favorite orchid by far. :)

Latest posts

Back