Phrag kovachii - Chuck Acker's Plant - a week late

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am quite intrigued by the hirsute stems and sepals. It certainly adds unique character to the flowers. Also, 3 flowers on the stem is pretty good flower count for a first bloom seedling. My largest seedlings are just starting 2nd and 3rd growths so I am hopeful that blooms might show up in the next year or two.

Saw it in person too. It is downright FUZZY. Front back top and bottom.

-Ernie

Does Chuck having it growing with his Cymbidiums or was that only used as a backdrop for the photos? And does anyone know what Chuck plans to do with it? Self it? Hybridize with it? I'm curious to know.

The kovachi is growing in that greenhouse, which is at least 40% Phrags. There are Cymbidiums in there, but I think they are plants that were brought in as finished plants in bud or bloom for resale, they were not raised in that house. There was no plan toward backdrop - other than get the sun light coming from behind the camera onto the face of the subject.

You would have to ask Chuck if you wanted specifics, but I know he has said he already made selfings and hybrids with it. Each pollen mass was sub-divided, so Chuck has made half a dozen hybrids and a selfing. Time will tell whether thay take.

Think about what Bouley Bay or China Dragon x kovachii would look like? I can hardly wait.

I for one am really excited about this species being available.

My point exactly, Leo. The next 10 to 15 years is going to see new and vastly different crosses coming into bloom. It's an exciting time! I hope that the rumours of an alba being discovered a while back were true. ....And I hope that it is in good hands and is being propagated and used in hybridizing.

Leo, buddy, your math is rusty. Geometric mean is the nth root of the product of n values. So, if you have two numbers, you mulitply them together then take the square root of the product. If three, multiply them then take the cube root, etc. Usually, one considers the geo mean of a length measurement or floriferousness (which oddly holds up pretty well in my experience). Although SA can be considered, it is not common in judging simply because it's not simple to do on the fly. Hmmm, I can adapt my electrophoresis/Western gel and micrograph imaging software for orchid judging... I commonly dream of developing such a metric of proportion during my train naps... Cheers!

-Ernie

Duh! - I'm so busted. :eek: You are right, I am glad you caught it. I was relying on memory, and it ain't what it used to be.

:confused: Now I just hope my buddy Tom F has sense enough to not follow my suggestion on how to cure his radon problem in the basement Boy, if he listens to me, that one could get ugly. ;)

^ ^
Thanks for the information, Leo! Glad to hear that there will be selfings of this gorgeous plant. I hope that all of his crosses take.

...... can adapt my electrophoresis/Western gel and micrograph imaging software for orchid judging... I commonly dream of developing such a metric of proportion during my train naps... Cheers!
-Ernie

You have software that does that stuff for you now? It's amazing what can be done now. Great idea. Go for it, maybe you get a patent out of it
Leo

You have software that does that stuff for you now? It's amazing what can be done now. Great idea. Go for it, maybe you get a patent out of it
Leo

Sure do. Can snap a pic of fluorescent cells or whatever and have it count them, determine coverage, perimeter, axes lengths, intensity... click a button and POW. No reason it couldn't work with a regular pic of a flower.

-Ernie

hhhmmmm ... is it only me, the one who thinks the flowers have a weird (almost ugly) shape? like missing pieces and oversized ears? ...
I can understand that, especially depending on what stage of opening one sees it. You can see the changes that take place in a 24 hour span & I think most of the larger flowers of paphs & phrags all have an ugly duckling stage while opening. You must see it in person!

well, I mean the really well open flowers... have laready seen them, and there is still something missing for my taste ;) cannot explain it, but I do not get very very into it (although, I must admit I think the plant has a great potential!)

I, for one, like kovachii. But then, I'm not necessarily one who thinks round is perfect.

Leo, do you know the history of this plant? Where and when did Chuck get this plant? Does he have others?

There are many Phrag species that have intriguing shapes. I too don't love kovachii but that does not stop me from having one in my collection. I would like it better if it hada more pronounced dorsalWhat besseae brought to Phrag breeding in color, kovachii will also influence breeding to that level if not greater due to it's size and color. I too look forward to the future generations with kovachii in the background :drool:

I, for one, like kovachii. But then, I'm not necessarily one who thinks round is perfect.

Leo, do you know the history of this plant? Where and when did Chuck get this plant? Does he have others?

The history of the plant is up on Chuck's website, it originated from one of the first batches of Peruflora flasks to be released. I got mine from the Marique / Piping Rock group a couple years later. You can always inquire with Chuck, he might have some sibbs from that batch available.

http://www.flasksbychuckacker.com/

Leo

Go for it Dot! :evil:
The color on the one at the WOC seemed darker, more toward purple, but maybe it was just the lighting or the closeness of the floor the bloom was lying on after it was knocked off! It will be a great plant for hybridizing w/ schlimii x fischeri.

About computer analysis, it won't account for the objective review. Did we forget the story of the GNYOS judging of the Pk hybrid where they didn't award it and had nothing to compare it to!!

Latest posts

Back