Phrag. kovachii ‘Laura’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is a beautiful cross, however I wouldn't dare to take that honor,
The person who made that cross is Thien Ngo Le,
his first name has a "T" in it , the name is THIEN 善 or 僐
where as my first name is HIEN 賢

Happy Holidays All!

I am happy to report that I bloomed out my second phrag. kovachii and wanted to share pics. It’s about 5” across at the moment.

This plant was purchased in 2018 from Alfredo Manrique at the annual NCOS Paph Forum. The clonal name is ‘Laura’ and I believe this was one of the first studs in his breeding program. Still unclear if it was jungle collected. If anyone has info, please share. I have a few emails out trying to dig up more history.

When the first kovachii seedlings were available to purchase from piping rock back in the mid 2000’s they were seedlings from a cross of (Ana x Laura). I regrettably killed a few of these plants over the years learning the culture 😕.

Enjoy.

View attachment 37336View attachment 37337View attachment 37338

After reading the Scent of Scandal, I back tracked deep into this forum, I continue to do deep dives... I found all the posts referenced in the book, and I also stumbled upon ‘Laura’. And have confirmed for my self, that this was one of the first 5 jungle collected plants Alfredo trekked hours in and out of the jungle to bring back to the lab and give to the world.

I had no idea so many of you have been around on this forum for so many years. What a treasure trove of history.

After reading the Scent of Scandal, I back tracked deep into this forum, I continue to do deep dives... I found all the posts referenced in the book, and I also stumbled upon ‘Laura’. And have confirmed for my self, that this was one of the first 5 jungle collected plants Alfredo trekked hours in and out of the jungle to bring back to the lab and give to the world.

I had no idea so many of you have been around on this forum for so many years. What a treasure trove of history.
I have been here from the beginning, when this site was started by a few folks (including myself), who had enough of another site that is no longer around and the guy who ran it. Honestly, if not for a few "holier than thou" members who seem to have a vocal, and negative, opinion of a lot of plants and posts here, this site would be more tremendous than it is. A lot remains unstated and not posted to save the grower the grief.

Frank

Yes! I was really glad I found a buyer who was interested in continuing the integrity of the site! I wouldn’t have sold otherwise.

I went hunting for my orchid digest kovachii issue but couldn’t find it. I can picture an article with the five named plants, including Laura, but couldn’t put my hands on it! Glad the forum had the info!

Back