Phrag. Jerry Lee Fischer and Yoko W. Fischer together

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are Phrag. Jerry Lee Fischer (JLF) and Yoko W. Fischer (YWF) blooming side by side, just as their namesakes are in life. These are repeat flowerings for each plant, each of them 11 months from the last flowering. Both plants are good growers with wide, thick leaves that are not overly long in my conditions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45750268@N03/shares/LURd44

Phrag. JLF was (besseae ‘Rob’s Choice’ x Incan Treasure). It was registered in 2014 by Orchids Limited and is 50% besseae, 25% longifolium, and 25% kovachii, except the besseae in this cross was tetraploid, so the besseae may dominate more than the simple genetics predict. This cross has given Orchids Limited some of the largest flowers for 2nd generation kovachii hybrids. The color range has been from red/orange to more pink. This repeat blooming for me had the first flower at about 13 cm NS width. The coloration has never been as dense as some of the plants bloomed by Orchids Limited so I think this is genetic, but I have never bloomed this in winter when it might have more anthocyanin pigmentation. The plant made two growths this year and both are blooming now with multiple flowers on each spike.

I first bloomed Phrag. YWF ‘Reijiro’ in 2016 and Orchid’s Limited registered it as (Peruflora’s Cirila Alca x besseae ‘Rob’s Choice’), so this is also a triploid with 50% besseae, 25% dalessandroi, and 25% kovachii. It is about 12 cm NS width and continues to have a dense color and a pleasing form. It looks like the plant will have 6 flowers with this blooming with flowers lasting close to 2 weeks.

Indeed, they are beautiful. The one on the right in the
first photo appeals to me a bit more...the deeper color,
I suppose. Seems from the photo angle to have a slightly
better shape.

The only white on the YWK is the central portion. What you see on the dorsal is a bit of a reflection. The JLF is a bigger, heftier flower, but I like the shape of the YWF better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yay besseae hybrids! Thanks for uploading the photo. I need to visit OL, maybe this year! Hopefully they will have a few of these available. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice blooms in like both but lean more to the one on the left. Congrats two lovley blooms.

Since both of these hybrids have the tetraploid besseae 'Rob's Choice' as a parent, they should both be triploids. Thus, it is very unlikely that either one of them will breed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back