Phrag grown hydroponically in aquaria

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since some Phrag species can be grown with wet feet, is it possible to take this a step further and grow them near the surface of an aquarium? I have a couple divisions from my Incan Treasure that fell off while I was trimming its roots that I was considering sticking into this breeder box and floating in one of my betta grow out tanks.

Would this be viable? Nitrogen would be available constantly at about 30ppm in the form of nitrate. pH in these tanks comes out at about 5.3 and the temps hold at about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. If pH and temperature are an issue, I also have tanks buffered by cuttlebone that sit at 7.4 and a temperature range of 60-70. I’m unsure about the phosphorus and potassium available in the water, and I also don’t know the amount of trace minerals present.

Attachments

• FF9F0689-C32F-401C-98A6-56662D8E88D3.jpeg
    FF9F0689-C32F-401C-98A6-56662D8E88D3.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 49
I would have thought it would be important to only have the tips of the roots and not the base of the plant or all the roots in water. It might be better to try one in a similar container without a fish in first in case the plant roots and turns to mush polluting the water. Apart from that please give it a go and report back here if it works and I might have another option for my planned Amazon aquarium!

If you submerge the existing roots and base of the plant, they will likely suffocate, die and rot. If, on the other hand, you can elevate the pots to have only the bottoms in contact with the water (assuming the roots are raised above that), they will eventually grow down into the water and will be fine.

I believe Tom Kalina mentioned back in the day klotzcheanum would sometimes be sold as an aquariaum plant. If testing out I would imagine some of the species that spend time submerged along rivers as a good choices to experiment. For example you could pick up a modestly priced pearcei that would yield results pretty quickly.

@eds that drip system you have going is having some exciting results. Looking forward to more updates on root tips

I believe Tom Kalina mentioned back in the day klotzcheanum would sometimes be sold as an aquariaum plant. If testing out I would imagine some of the species that spend time submerged along rivers as a good choices to experiment. For example you could pick up a modestly priced pearcei that would yield results pretty quickly.

@eds that drip system you have going is having some exciting results. Looking forward to more updates on root tips
Phrag. klotzscheanum was collected during the rainy season when the stream-side plants would be submerged for weeks at a time, and sold as an aquarium plant in the early 1900's. It quickly lost favor as an aquarium plant when it did not survive completely submerged for very long.

Since some Phrag species can be grown with wet feet, is it possible to take this a step further and grow them near the surface of an aquarium? I have a couple divisions from my Incan Treasure that fell off while I was trimming its roots that I was considering sticking into this breeder box and floating in one of my betta grow out tanks.

Would this be viable? Nitrogen would be available constantly at about 30ppm in the form of nitrate. pH in these tanks comes out at about 5.3 and the temps hold at about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. If pH and temperature are an issue, I also have tanks buffered by cuttlebone that sit at 7.4 and a temperature range of 60-70. I’m unsure about the phosphorus and potassium available in the water, and I also don’t know the amount of trace minerals present.
Being grown with ‘wet feet’ does not mean what you think it means. It is not constantly wet 365/24/7. In South America where many Phrags. are from, they do grow stream side, not in the stream. During the rainy or monsoon season the water levels rise bathing the plants in gently flowing water. I am not a climate expert but perhaps these rain overflows last weeks or a couple months. I do not know.
When I grew my first few Phrags. in the mid 80’s, I grew them with a saucer at the base of the plant. That worked fairly well.
But now I grow them under lights, with 2” deep metal trays collecting excess water. I try to keep the humidity as high as possible. With the effect of home heating lowering humidity, I am lucky to maintain 45-50%. In the summer when the go outside, 55-65% is common. But in my experience they like to be watered often, kept on the moist side but that are not bog or marsh plants.

I had about 30 mature plants last year and had 19 bloom. That is like 62% or so. Some are easier then others. Kovachii are the hardest to bloom in my opinion. Besseae like it wetter.

Latest posts

Back