Phrag. Grande

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
caudatum 'Old Gold' x longifolium 'Red Ropes"
First time for me with two spikes.

Phrag_Grande07.jpg

This is wonderful... the colours and petal length are just amazing.

Do you grow the plant sitting in water or does it dry out? Could you please advise what sort of lighting it gets?

Thanks
tim

That is a beatifully grown plant. THe depth of colour in the flowers leaves everything else I've seen for dead.

Amazing!!!

Dumb question:

Will someone explain the difference between Grande and Super Grande?

Wossner Super Grande (warscewizrianum x longifolium)
Grande (caudatum x longifolium)

Do you grow the plant sitting in water or does it dry out? Could you please advise what sort of lighting it gets?

Tim, it's planted in a mix of diatomite and coconut chips with a little sponge rock thrown in. I water it twice a week, but it is not sitting in water. At least in my growing conditions, the caudatum types don't like to be always wet. Damp maybe but not wet. For lighting, in the summer, I've had it on my north-facing front porch where it gets morning sun until about 11 am and open shade the rest of the day. In the winter, my Phrags are all growing under T8 fluorescent lights in my basement.

Thanks, everyone. It's one of my favorites, also.

Do you grow the plant sitting in water or does it dry out?Thanks tim

I imagine there might be some that do fine sitting in water, if they take after the longifolium parent. On the other hand, caudatum wouldn't like sitting in water. I think fellow member Leo said it best in a previous post, the long petaled phrags like water but they need to drain quickly.

Thanks Rose.

I just bought one at our last society meeting, from Leo S. It was labeled longifolium 'pink' X warscewizrianum. It was very light pinkish.

Unfortunately it was windy and raining, and before I could get to my car, the flower was whipped into mush. I had to park out in the back 40. I walk with a cane so I, also, was all but wet soggy mush. I ran into rain, lighting, wind, and marble sized hail on my way home,(there were tornados in the area). What a relief it was to drive into my garage. I was so happy to be home that I forgot about the damaged flower.

My plant survived, I survived....sort of, but the flower sure suffered.

Thanks Dot, Rose...

I've got three of this cross and one is sitting in water the other two are in a pot that just drains as usual. They are all in the same spot that gets morning light to about 9am though, so maybe I need to up the light.

cheers
tim

Thanks Dot, Rose...
I've got three of this cross and one is sitting in water the other two are in a pot that just drains as usual. They are all in the same spot that gets morning light to about 9am though, so maybe I need to up the light.
cheers
tim

I would think so as caudatum is a high light phrag, longifolium on the other hand is not but if it's BS & it's not blooming, then it's definitely worth a try!My grande gets sun all morning, infact til 1-1:30pm. There is a sunburn spot on one leaf otherwise it is medium green in color. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back